Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Transition Mode....

Is this still a rant?
Read and decide.... hehehehe...

My Education Centre was started initially for myself and another partner. It was intended to be a single centre that us two ladies manage.... but somehow, the husbands got involved and suddenly there are plans to go big. And I being one who cannot compartmentalise ... is perpertually stressed about work. Bringing work back home - afterall it is OWN business right?
So work load is one thing...

And then there is the other.... over some silly misunderstanding (actually, not even misunderstanding), my partner decided not to come into work anymore. Basically, she was asking me some questions and I wasn't really forthcoming with my answers as I was busy with some stuff, and she just blew her top, banged the table, screamed at me "you think only you don't want to talk to me? I also don't want to talk to you!" and stormed out of my room. I tell you, I was so shocked by the outburst that I didn't even respond with a retort. You know me.... of course must have last word one!

Anyway, with her not coming in ... I had to be the one managing the day-to-day operations from A to Z including the bookeeping, payroll, HR stuff which she was supposed to be doing. And I have to say that it was taking a toll on me. So stressed and arguing with H almost everyday. I guessed it wasn't just the work load, it was also the emotional aspect of things. Professionally, I could handle my partner just walking off (but still keeping shares), but personally, I felt kinda letdown by a friend. And with me working working working, I have absolutely no social life. I have to say I was a bit depressed. I supposed a bit angry (is this the right word to use) too - or as in Cantonese "mm-tai".... because I own 55% but I do almost 100% of the work - UNPAID work.

Although the time is not right yet, we had to do it... we decided to sell part of the company. Otherwise I think I will go GILA. Singaporeans bought over a % of the company, and they have control now. New CEO is Singaporean.... I still hold a small share of the company. I will still be managing the academic side of things, overseeing the curriculum, the course concepts, our worksheets etc - to ensure that it is to a respectable standard. They have plans to do so many things. I just hope that they know what they are doing....

Am still managing the day-to-day stuff at the moment...(YES. Still unpaid) until they can find someone to replace me. Hope will be soon.

I hate to admit it but I really don't have the stomach to run my own business. I just cannot compartmentalise and cannot leave work at work. I am constantly thinking and worrying about work. Stressed all the time. If I try to take time off and relax. I can't. I'll feel guilty because of the "own business" notion.

Selling part of the company actually was quite timely too..... because..... I am moving to Australia with my boys. H? He will come too ...but travel back here for work.....
More about Down Under in the next post... and why????

9 comments:

mom2ashleyaidan said...

sorry to hear that you are going through a rough time. Hope things will get better!

stay-at-home mum said...

life's like that when you run your own biz. I have my quarrels with my hubs regarding the business we run too. He wants to go big, but working and doesnt have much time. Me - I dont want. Kids alone enough to occupy almost all my time, and want it only as a hobby. So, we do what we can when we can.

Rita said...

Glad to read your updates again. They are so entertaining. Can really feel your emo eventhough I am just a silent reader. hee hee hope you don't mind.

CL said...

sound like you have a lot on your plate... moving to Oz? ... great move!! Nice to hear from you again ...

mun said...

I think selling off part of the company is a good move if it means you get to keep your life less stressful.

Wow! move to Australia? How exciting! Can't wait to read your next post. Nice to be able to read your posts again. Been missing them.

MeRy said...

Life is tough..but never give up!!

LittleLamb said...

Huh? I thought no plans to move..and now to Oz. I guess, if you can, just sell away the business - totally or become a smaller shareholder. THen you dont have to be burden, no worries.

jacss said...

hey im so surprise to read & know your current situation...sorry too!
u know ppl always advise not to get into bis with friend, guess it can be very true!! my huby's partnership also turned sour so i always advise him to be the boss himself, no more partnership... perhaps just profit sharing! im excited that u r moving, look forward to hear yr updates!! good luck !!

Ashwin said...

I read your blog and I really liked it. I have to say it is very well written. I too have a blog on fun food and travel, and I would love be a guest blogger for you. So, contact me ashwin@fareportal.com if you are interested.

Ashwin

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker