Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Earthquake!!!!

Yep! There was an EARTHQUAKE this afternoon....just before 3 pm local time. I was on the phone with a friend, and then I felt the bed shaking and heard creaking. I thought "Aiyo. Mmm-hai hai mah? Stay three years in this house already, then only yau-kwai??". Then realised must be EARTHQUAKE. I told my friend on the phone, "Eh. I think earthquake lah". Then she said "No wonder I thought why suddenly I am dizzy!" ....We ended the call immediately. I don't know why but I walked over to the window and saw that the water in my swimming pool was splashing and sploshing OUT of the pool! By this time, tremors already stopped. Boys were on the bus from school. When they arrived home, I asked "Did you guys feel the earthquake?"
"What earthquake??" was their reply in unison.
This was the first time that I felt the quake. Since we moved here, there had been 3 quakes including today's. The first time, we were all sleeping like piggies. So couldn't feel anything. We probably had a good dream thinking we are being rocked to sleep like a baby!! The second time,  we were all in the car. As the roads here are bumpy as h@ll, we couldnt' feel the tremors then too. But this time, I was wide-awake and it did last quite long. I would say 10 to 15 seconds.

Anyway, besides the EARTHQUAKE being THE event today.... I got my butt out to the furniture shop recommended by my friend. I ordered a 8-seater dining table, a single bed and chest of drawers for S1. Wanted to get a daybed as well...but they couldn't make the design that I wanted. My friend's furniture took a month. But the owner said that they will be available for delivery on the 12th! Wah...So quick. Wonder if they cin-cai (Simply) do? The owner said that so soon because they have the teak wood in store already. So...we shall see lah.

Was very good today. I did gardening (after the quake, went downstairs...and decided to just do gardening) and even made dinner - albeit a simple dinner of roast chicken and mashed potatoes.

8 comments:

Irene said...

gosh, scary!

MeRy said...

Scary...where do u stay??

bp said...

phew, good thing it wasn't a direct hit where u live. i had a similar experience while in st louis with the tremors, n they did happen a few times in a row after a quake farther away.

and looks like the tremors got you on your feet ;p... what a fruitful day it is for u! is your painting done? it must be your b'day soon!

mott said...

Scary hor.. First time I felt quake.. I really felt really weird!!

Ya man..when ur painting gonna habis. Why only can paint in class? U don't paint at home meh?

wen said...

other than the swimming pool, ur furnitures all ok?

NomadicMom said...

Irene - Think those on highrises experience it more.

MeRy - Jakarta

bp - It's about a 100 miles away, 30 km under the sea, I think

Mott - Too lazy at home lah.
Habis already. WIll post later lah

Wen - Furniture all ok.

KittyCat said...

Sounds like a major one if you can see water sloshing! You know you need to stand in doorway or under dining table, right?

I envy anyone who can paint - can't wait to see your masterpieces ;-)

NomadicMom said...

Kittycat - don't think i could fit under the bed! hahahahah

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker