Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Really. Should I go for a House or an Apartment?

Actually.... Apartments are generally MORE expensive than houses here.
And if they are in sought-after buildings/areas, the rental price of a two-bedroom apartment can be Much Much MORE than my 4 Bedroom + Study + 2 Maid's Room House with Swimming Pool. You would then say that the logical thing to do is to get a house then. Right?

But the problem with living in houses is the security. Not that it is unsafe but having security gives one a peace of mind. My house is a single house and we engage our own security guards.... Not that these guards can FIGHT or anything, but they act as a deterrent. Well, this peace of mind cost a whopping USD 700 per month. So in order to cut our overall expenditure, we need to either move to a cheaper house and have these security guards, OR move to a house within a complex which has it's own 24-hour security.

Normally, we wouldn't consider moving to an apartment (higher rents than houses. Remember?) but my business partner has offered to rent their apartment to us at a very reasonable rate and payment terms. One CRAZY thing about this country is that landlords demand the lease to be at least one to two years duration, and with that, the RENTAL amount for the WHOLE duration. Which means, if your property's rent is USD 2000 per month and you are renting for a year, you need to fork out USD 24,000 UPFRONT!
Anyway, my business partner told us that we can pay on a monthly basis....which is a great help.

Why the sudden change?
Because we WANT to stay back in Jakarta, we have to localise, i.e. our benefits are cut back. We still get housing allowance and schooling. Previously, the company pays direct to the landlords, school, car leasing company etc. But with the change, these will be paid to us in a lump sum basis. So obviously, we want to minimise as much as we can.

Back to the apartment.... Usually, apartments are really small. But this unit is over 3000 sq ft. Boys will still be able to have their own rooms, there is a separate family room, wet and dry kitchens and a maid's room. We can save on security and gym memberships. It's convenient (big supermarket next door, a nice mall about 10 minutes walk away).

So what's the problem
If you know me... you know that I am a sucker for drying out my clothes in the sun. How to do this if we live in an apartment? Use tumble dryer all the time? I can't lah

Also, I am a little apprehensive to rent from friends.... cause if something is not right, I don't feel too right to complain or demand for things to be done. Plus, we are business partners, and our sons are currently the best of pals. What is something turns sour? Will we be shoo-ed off? Or am I being paranoid

The other reason is that the apartment is slightly further from the school. I am told the journey in the morning might be an extra 15 minutes. I supposed this is okay

I don't know lah. Summore the houses that I have seen around my area aren't that appealing.

The ones I like, H doesn't like. For example, a really nice huge single storey bangalow with 3 very large bedrooms and a nice big garden and swimming pool within a 4-house complex. It was within our budget, but H thinks it is too old. :-P

The ones he like, I don't like. And there was this small house - 3 bedrooms + 1 study. New minimalist style with a small swimming pool in the backyard. It looks nice BUT I didn't like the idea that there is no access to the pool other than RIGHT through the house. I don't like the pool maintenance guy to come through my house lah! H couldn't understand what was the big deal!!! Bleah

So how

Dilemma. Dilemma.

4 comments:

mun said...

How much time do you have before you need to move out of your current house? Still got time to look at more houses? About drying clothes under the sun - you can try changing your mindset by thinking that the air outside is very dusty and dirty and the sun UV ray will damage the clothes. Renting from friends need to be very tactful and be very patient to avoid dispute. I like viewing houses and apartments but not the decision making part, hehehe.

NomadicMom said...

Mun - hiya.. Decided to move to friend's apartment. It seems like the best option... As my main criteria is the security. Moving at the end of this month liow

jacss said...

well, life is full of dilemma & just happen that this is quite a big dilemma in this path of your journey!!
i prefer a house than a box & yep, it's risky associating $$ with friends, good luck!!
wish there's a light for you soon ya :D

NomadicMom said...

jacss - Already decided ler... we are moving to the friend's apartment!

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker