Friday, September 05, 2008

Baking Venture????

friend asked if I could bake her some cupcakes for her son's birthday. At first I declined...but then thought later "why not?", and called her back. She wanted to have 30 cupcakes for the kids to decorate. I thought "okay...I just have to bake and make the butter icing. No need to decorate" so I told her that I would charge her about USD 0.55 per cupcake, which works out to be approx USD 16.50. I tell you...this amount just enough to cover costs. Cannot make money. Just the butter alone costs about USD 6/-. The 30 paper cups USD 2.20....as they are those free-standing ones No need the cupcake tray. I told her that if (a BIG IF) anyone wants to order cupcakes from me, they cupcakes would costs USD 0.85 for plain glaced ones, and from USD 1.10 for plain butter-icing ones. Otherwise no point. Right?
When I was filling the batter into the papercups, it seems there might be insufficient batter. I was kinda worried that the cupcakes might be a disaster. Lucky they were quite okay.
30 Cupcakes
Since the kids were going to decorate the cupcakes, made a batch of butter icing and then gave them some colouring. Packed some sprinkles and flowers for the decor too. I wasn't sure if she had another birthday cake or not, so decided to write the birthday greeting on an old cake board from S1's birthday last year (of course I washed it!!). The idea was for the kids to decorate the cupcakes, and then stack it up on the cake board and thus serve as a "towered" cake with candles and all. Well, she did buy a birthday cake, so I don't know if the cupcakes were stacked at the party or not.

Cake Board and Butter Creams

After the 30 cupcakes were out of the way, I thought I'll experiment! I had a punnet of organic strawberries and half a bottle of Knott's Berry Farm Strawberry Jam in the fridge. So I used them. I dumped cut strawberries and the jam into the batter. Mix them up and scooped them into my paper cups. At this point, the batter looked really fluffy and good.

But look what happened to the strawberry cupcakes....

Ugly Loooking Cupcakes

But surprisingly, the cupcakes were really soft, moist and very very yummy. As it was already very sweet, I decided whipped cream would be better as the topping, as opposed to others.

A decorated Strawberry Cupcake
Cannot see the ugliness liow...

I don't normally eat my cupcakes.....or if I do, it's just one...to see the texture, and how it tasted. But these Strawberry Cupcakes were really really yummy. I wallop FOUR today!!! Die..lah. Need to starve for the next four days!!!

I had some jelly and Hershey's Strawberry Syrup in the fridge; which I used together with the cupcakes to make trifle. Layered the jelly, cake, syrup and whipped cream in individual plastic cups. Plastic cups because they were for the staff (maid, security guards).

Homemade Trifle

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

its so easy, just bake the cupcakes only.. i get headache when it comes to decorating..

i am on diet u know, but ur strawberry cupcake makes me..... arrggh!! going to the fridge now

bp said...

yummm!!! can i have some of your strawberry cupcakes please? and your trifle looks good, too!

bet the kids had fun with those other cupcakes you made for the party... woohoo, way to go, NM, now u can venture into your own baking biz, or open a deli of sorts? =)

Irene said...

strawberry cupcakesssssssssssss! yum yummmmm!

Anonymous said...

can you please bake one special one for spymama in future? can or not ah? with sunglasses and toupe?

NomadicMom said...

Wen - But it's the dcorating that is the fun part. No?
Only problem for me is that my S1 can't take tooooo sweet. So if I use butter icing to pipe the tall swirly-whirly ones, he will scrape it off! Very Sayang...as butter is kinda expensive these days!!

bp - Err... I didn't even hear feedback from my friend. WOnder if my cupcakes are dry and horrible??

Irene - It is kinda yummy...I had another one the next day. Had to stop myself from having more!!

Spymama - Okay.. Let me try and see if I can pipe sunglasses and toupe. Problem is ...abit difficult to get brown/black colouring for the sunglasses leh...

Anonymous said...

wah..syiok..that strawberry one. I hv a problem with my cupcakes..they peak. dunno whether it's the oven or me. must be me.

hey..thanks for ur sista's details. at the moment, he's with the school speech pathologist. So, for the moment, we'll see how it goes at the end of the year.

thanks again!

laundryamah said...

wahhh ur baking skilss so terrerr leow!!!

NomadicMom said...

mott - Most times, my cupcakes peak. Even those that I think will not. However, donno why the strawberry ones went down. Maybe because I mixed in the jam rather than just drop into each cupcake.
As for my sis...no probs.

Laundryamah - Is that a sarcastic remark over my sunken cupcakes???

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker