Thursday, February 12, 2009

Kids these days...

...are so very spoilt....to the extent that they absolutely do NOT value the things that they have. They have this idea that it's their RIGHT to own things, be it the latest iPod or mobile phone or game consoles. They do NOT see that these things are a PRIVILEGE.

Why do I say this? 
H bought both boys a Nokia mobile phone each for Xmas. It may not be the top-of-the-line model, but does have the music and camera functions; and cost USD 100/each. 
What do you know?
S1 has lost his phone....and this is less than 1 1/2 months of owning it (as the received the gift after we came back from Malaysia in early January)!
Boy. Was I mad with the irresponsibility.
What made it worse was when I queried him, he said "It's not my fault".
GOSH!! Then whose fault is it?? 
I was so cheesed-off and ANGRY WORDS were exchanged between S1 and I, coupled with ugly and aggressive facial expressions from S1 (and me, I'm sure!!
Then in exasperation, he said "Alright, it's just a mistake. Ok????" (think to shut me up!!)
Which got me going about the time he left his gameboy on the plane....and at that time, this was what he said as well. The gameboy incident did NOT improve his responsibility on taking care of his things. So when will he start to be a little moreresponsible????

Told him that he has to use his own pocket money to purchase another phone. I will NOT be paying for it, and he is NOT going to get his dad to buy it. IF the dad buys one, I will confiscate it (When I told H about this, he said he will pay for HALF of the new phone. I said "No way!! " He has to learn to be responsible. If he loses something because of his irresponsibility, he will have to suffer the consequences. I don't want the kids to think that money grows on trees and that they can anyhow abuse the privileges that are bestowed on them!). 

Also, S1 had been looking forward to upgrading his online game character this weekend. And as a punishment for his TIDAK-APA attitude, I will with-hold this privilege for a MINIMUM of one month. I'll evaluate his level of responsibility during this time and decide if he deserves this privilege. 

At the time of writing this post, I've calmed down ALOT. You should see me just now. Eyes bulging OUT of my sockets, and the tongue lashing NON-STOP! And when mom called to wish S2 happy chinese birthday, she could hear me scolding and screaming. After the phone call, she texted me to tell ADVISE me that scolding and screaming does NOT work....hrmmmf (I seem to remember mom scolding me and chasing me with the rotan last time...but now, when I scold my kids, you can actually see her tears forming in her eyes...why ah??)

I donno...I still say KIDS these day are blardy SPOILT.

10 comments:

stay-at-home mum said...

I totally agree. Must make them feel the pain if they lsoe it .. make them go without it for a while. Actually grandparents become softies ... they forget what they did to their kids!!

mommy of 3 angels said...

eh...question is who spoilt them? u think they spoit themselves? well that can happen also la...

Anonymous said...

Err..yea. When I lose something, my mom used to make me WORK for it. I had to weed the garden, clean the drains and.....what else ar? some other chore which I really hated la.

But...that made me think of being more careful la.

I am Princess Misha's Mum said...

eh...question is who spoilt them? u think they spoit themselves? ---> from mommy of 3 angels.

Hmmm ... ... correct also hor, who spoilt them actually? hahahha.. :)

NomadicMom said...

SAHM - I know I am very bad...but I am going to make him suffer for a month, at least!
I'm sure grandparents can remember what they did to their own kids, they will just say "times are different now"!!

M3Angels - Eh. Certainly NOT me. I am like MOMzilla lah. It's the grandparents and the father!!

Mott -A bit difficult to punish via chores. I don't really want my kids too near the plants nor the drains. Too high a risk of being bitten by mosquitos and other bugs. I'm punishing by NOT getting him the COVETED game.

Misha's Mum - Really. Not me! See my reply to M3Angels.

Anonymous said...

tell mum shouting and rotan do work! hahaha



g-

allthingspurple said...

huah..Kimberly only get my old hand me down phone. Actually, 2 generation hand me down phone.haha. from her dad to me to her. But I do that too, I withhold privileges when she lost stuff. One time she left her gameboy at the public toilet too. I went berserk. AFter that she learned.

NomadicMom said...

G -You tell her lah. So that she doesn't tear up when we rotan our kids. Hahahha

AllthingsPurple - Let's see if my boy will learn this time.

Mamapumpkin said...

they need 2 work 4 things. for everything they want, they hv 2 do something they dont want/like for X amount of dollars or some other reward, u decide. if they dont learn now, they will suffer later....U've gotta be firm la...

NomadicMom said...

mama pumpkin - Yes. Being firm. What S1 wants is the upgrade...and not another phone. So will see how WELL he behaves...

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker