Wednesday, November 24, 2010

eBay Rookie

I have just signed-up on eBay yesterday... and proceeded to place bids on numerous scrapbooking lots. S2 saw what I was doing and then commented "You must wait only until the last 5 minutes, then place a bid a few cents above, then you will win". His dad asked him how he knew that... From "George Lopez", was the answer!

Obviously, I didn't pay attention to him... placing bids so that I was the highest bidder. There was one particular auction whereby there was only 40 minutes left, and I was the highest bidder then. H kept telling me to stay awake to monitor the bids. I didn't. And this morning, when I checked my eBay account... I lost. And you know what? The fella really only place a bid a couple of minutes before the auction closed. So I could have jumped-in with a higher bid. I lost by USD 1.00 !

Not only that, when I looked at the other lots where I had placed a bid... I had been outbid LEFT, RIGHT and CENTER. i have also been doing the NO-NO. I've been increasing my bid repeatedly yesterday... Basically, I drove the price up. SILLY ROOKIE!

I was kinda frustrated with being outbid, that I just went ahead and bought a 50 pack Jolee's Stickers at USD 19.99 without going through the bidding process. Told the seller to HOLD shipment until the other auction ends... in case I win, and then shipment can be in one lot...to our hotel in Anaheim (taking boys to Disneyland etc etc.. in December).

So now... I am not going to bid until the last couple of minutes. Looks like I am following my S2's strategy of putting a bid at the last minute, after all.

I am watching another auction that is expiring tonight... at midnight. Can I stay up? I will have to stay up! I wanna get the 6000+ pieces of scrapbooking stuff!!!!

WISH ME LUCK!

(Errr... I was going through my existing stash. Looks like I have quite a lot of stuff... so do I need more????)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wash, better be careful,e bay very addictive, especially with the infinite great stuff from US.
I bought many things but I did experience stuff missing in the post, buy from high rated sellers.
Want any advice, can ask me, I almost pro already.
The bid last minute thing is definitely true especially for auctions which you just know is starting at such low price and other birders will come in.
KL

Anonymous said...

a lot of people have the auto biding thing la

mk

Charmaine said...

Your son is correct. Usually I have the items on watch list and then bid in the last few minutes. It's very kan cheong. You're still on 'L'... :D

mott said...

ya..i normally only start my bids at the very last minute/seconds.

Firstly, you don't want to bid too much or you'll end up paying too much...the seller only untung.

and..be careful of sellers..and always look for their ratings. got to be close to 100%....

NomadicMom said...

KL - quite "kann cheong" during the last minute when you are bidding for something... The heart thumping as the clock ticks down each second!

Mk - when you put auto thing, other bidders when bid, will know they are not the highest and will keep increasing. Essentially 2 bidders can drive up the price quite significantly.

Charmaine - yeah lor. Yeah lor... Heart goes bit bop bit bop. Haha... Simple thrills

Mott - gotcha... Rechecked the sellers. Most are either 99.9% or some even 100%.

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker