Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Perfect Kids...

Thought I'll write a little bit about kids after reading Laundryamah's rants about her son.

I have to say that I've been guilty of screaming and shouting at my two boys. Yes...very often. I guessed sometimes I try to defend my actions by saying that they are naughty etc etc. But of course sometimes they are REALLY NAUGHTY. However, alot of times, they are just being kids. And in the heat of the moment, you just lose sight of things and just rant and scream etc when unexpected things happen.

One recent episode was when S1 came home and asked me for an iPod, which of course I said NO. And then he said "can I work for it?". He basically wanted to bake cupcakes to sell. He then proceeded to the kitchen to look for the ingredients, and accidently tugged at some bottles, and off flew the Goober and the Crumpy bottles onto the floor. Broken lah, of course. Wah!!! Of course I screamed and shouted like some MAD woman. Screamed and screamed and screamed. Think he was a little shocked and I saw his eyes got teary but I didn't care. Still screamed and shouted like some deranged woman lah. Later that night, I thought to myself that he's actually meant well. At least he tried to think of some ways to earn some money, rather than look at me and DEMAND an iPod etc. The broken stuff were an accident. He definitely didn't mean it, nor wanted it to happen. Why am I so hard on my 9 year old? He's only 9 and sometimes, I expect him to behave like he's 29!!!! Even some 29 year olds behave worse than my 9 year old!!

Why do I expect a perfect kid? When I myself is NOT perfect at all?? I am trying to learn and be more patient. Friend told me this..if whenever you want to scream or blow up, breathe, and then walk away. Calm down first before you reprimand your child. OR ask yourself "is this a life and death matter? Can it be salvage?" and work from there....

But then...of course, when the kids are kicking each other...there's nothing better than scream "STOP IT NOW!"....

5 comments:

mommy of 3 angels said...

wah ur kid so mature wanna work for his toy.

so how u make it up to him after the sceaming session? gave him the ipod ah! aahahhaha (guilty mah!)

NomadicMom said...

Of course didn't buy him an iPod lah..Don't wanna spoil them too much. But I did feel bad and apologised and explained to him why I was mad. He sort of understood lah.

But this H ah... saw a mini mini iPod (don't know call i-What lah) and wanted to buy one for each boy...he was like only USD 90 each what... Of course I said NO!!!!

Anonymous said...

wah i can actually imagine you screaming..kakakakkaka...ayo..say only easy but during the heated situation u think can still like stop and think of what to say and how to say ah?

NomadicMom said...

Ya lah Ya lah... But I'm learning to BREATHE real hard to stop screaming. I have to... they are growing up real fast, and if I don't...they will not confide in me when they reach their teens. I have to work to being their friend now...

Anonymous said...

the "mini mini iPod" is the updated version of the iPod shuffle.

v

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker