Thursday, October 15, 2009

Six Nights in London...

I need to post about our trip here, otherwise by the time I do my scrapbooking pages, I would have forgotten everything and don't know how to do the journalling.

We arrived at London Stansted on Tuesday, 22nd September half an hour earlier than scheduled. As a result, we had to wait quite a while for our pre-booked taxi that we got from here. It is definitely cheaper than getting the Stansted Express. Not only that, it is so much more convenient as the train goes to Liverpool Street, and we would have to catch the tube to where we were staying. With the taxi, it drops us right in front of the doorstep of our serviced apartment. Booked into So Quartier at Kilburn Park via laterooms.com. It's quite a good rate at GBP 100/night for a serviced one-bedroom apartment. Boys slept on the sofabed out in the living room. Though located in Zone 2, we didn't spend that much extra as compared if we were to stay in a Zone 1 place. H and I each had Oyster Cards, and S1's off-peak travelcard was only GBP 1/- per day for all zones. S2 is free.

Now....let me see where we went.

Wednesday, 23rd - We went to the Tower of London. A guided tour by the Beefeaters is included in the ticket price. And whilst he was talking about Guy Fawkes, Ann Boleyn, Henry the VIII.... my smart alec S2 interrupted him and completed the sentence for him. Aiyo..... We later told him that people generally HATE smart alecs. Then H added "when dad was your age, I would drag the smart alecs to one corner and beat them up!" hahahahahhaha

The White Tower (I think) at The Tower of London


Then we crossed the Tower Bridge, towards London Dungeons. I have to say the London Dungeons is quite crap lah. If it weren't because we had to walk from one area to another, I'm sure I would have dozed-off!

Tower Bridge

Thursday, 24th - Boys started off the morning terrorizing the pigeons at Green Park. We then went to Westminster Abbey, Big Ben etc. We bought sandwiches and such and had brunch in St.James Park. Really nice and pleasant....sitting down and gazing at the greens and the birds and ducks. Boys? They had a blast here at St.James Park. Terrorizing the pigeons and the squirrels! I was wondering if the 'Against Cruelty to Animals' people were gonna come after us.

Ready. Get Set. Go!

Then it was time for Changing of the Guards. Whilst waiting, my S2 was whiney as ever....as it was quite warm. H asked if S2 is made of wax and is melting in the sun???

How often do you get such BLUE skies in London?

Crowds waiting for Changing of the Guards


We had pre-booked tickets to visit the State Rooms at Buckingham Palace. The State Rooms were indeed grand. Can't take photos inside though... Only in the Gardens. We had some scones etc at the Palace's Cafe.

Buckingham Palace - The Rear

After the Palace Tour, off we went to BV at Sloan Street to get my birthday present from H. I seriously didn't want it....but he insisted. He had wanted to buy the bag for me since last year. But I kept insisting NO. Will post a pic later lah. And while we were there, my S1 had to go do his BIG BUSINESS. Aiyo....As it was a staff toilet, the salesguy had to literally WAIT outside the toilet for my S1 to finish with his poo. Yucks!

Friday, 25th - Think we visited the British Museum today... Not sure if the boys actually enjoyed themselves or not. But I did learn a little bit more about the Greeks at the free museum tour. The British Museum had so many statues that were taken from the Parthenon.When we were in Athens two years back, I remember the Acropolis Museum wanting the British Museum to return the artefacts....

And then to Covent Garden Market... Boys enjoyed themselves watching the different buskers. As usual, my S2 was picked by one of the magicians to do "magic". S2 was supposed to make some paper disappear, and while he wasn't looking, the guy threw the paper away (which everyone saw). But when S2 realised that the paper was gone, you could see a real surprised look....as if he believed the paper miraculously disappeared. The guy said " I love kids. They are so stupid". I have to say it was rather funny. As mentioned here, celebrated my birthday with dinner at Halepi with my sister G and her fiance.

Saturday, 26th - Had bought a REDUCED loaf of bread from Tescos so that boys could feed the ducks and swans over at Kensington Gardens. Warned them to feed far faaaaaaar away from me as I don't want the birds etc to come after me.

Boys running away from the birds...as they weren't fast enough with the feed
We then met with SH at Royal China for lunch. Her little one was not feeling well, so WK stayed at home and she drove down to London with her older one. After lunch, the boys wanted to go to the park to feed the ducks again. NO reduced bread. I was adamant at NOT paying full price for a loaf of bread meant for ducks ok!!!!! BUT H....as usual, spoiling the kids whenever.... bought a loaf of bread at GBP 1.09! This is really expensive for a loaf of bread. Even at UK standards! Even M&S bread is less than a pound at full price!!!!! Bleah...
As I was dishing out each piece of bread to the boys, I of course ngam-ngam-cham-cham. Bread is soooo soft, and I had to eat a bit of it. SH finds that amusing. But the bread is fresh what!
Princess of Wales Playground was the next stop. And what do you know??? My S2 gets himself "missing" inside. We couldn't find him. I knew he was in there somewhere (gated and fenced)....but not knowing where he was was not a pleasant feeling. Got so fed-up and dragged him out when we finally found him. Said our goodbyes with SH and then off to Oxford Circus as our musical Sister Act was to be at the London Paladium. Since there, thought...bring the boys to Hamleys. Soooo crowded. Told the boys to stay close. And what do you know? Just go in NOT even 2 minutes. I couldn't see the boys liow. I waited at the entrance/exit and H went round to look for them. Boy! Was I p!ssed with them. I was so mad that I told H to bring them back to the apartment, and I went off shopping on Oxford Street myself!
And what do you know? He took them back into Hamleys...and bought them each a weird looking frisbee. I wouldn't have bought the frisbee...cost over 10 quid EACH! Bought Two some more! Gila!
Really spoil them too much lah!!!!!!
Anyway, Sister Act was pretty good. Would be better if it had the main songs from the movie. Remember the one "Nothing you could do, could tear me away from My God. My God. " Well, it all consisted of new songs. I kept waiting and waiting for the familiar songs....thinking maybe Finale. But still tadaa. But boys enjoyed the show tremendously. Had made them watch the movie version in the morning (G brought the dvd to us on Friday) so that would at least know the storyline.

Sunday, 27th - G and R had volunteered to take the boys out to the museums. So met them at South Ken station. H and I hung out with them at the Natural History Museum for awhile, and then lunch at the pub before splitting.
Some Dinosaur at the Natural History Museum



Whilst H and I went shopping (not that we bought alot), G and R took the boys to the Science Museum. and then to the park. When I texted her later inquiring on their whereabouts, this was her reply "At the Thames, drowing your boys". I'm sure the boys must have somewhat drove them up the wall. Hahhaha. Anyway, we met them at the park again before heading off to dinner at Khans....where we met with my old friend D and his wife.

Monday, 28th - Decided to take the boys to Trafalgar Square for a look-see since they like to terrorize the pigeons so much. But to my surprise, the square is all cleaned up. You don't see big flocks like years ago.

Trafalgar Square

Also attempted to go to the Central Perk Cafe again. It is a 'pop-up' cafe to commemerate the 15th Anniversary of FRIENDS. It is only opened for two weeks, and is located near Carnaby Street. H took the boys there on Saturday, but the queue was too long. Thus didn't go in. So figured as this is a Monday, we might get a chance on entering. But no such luck. Queue was still way too long.

Central Perk


We went to Harrods for tea...which was really yummy. But expensive lor. Took boys to have a look at the pets department. Then the topic of US having a pet came up again. H wants one. But I seriously don't fancy a dog IN the house. Hair on my carpets. On my Sofa. And me being the cleaner running after the dog. Noooooooo Way! The pet accessories at Harrods are even nicer than people things...and even more expensive. I saw some dog cookies that cost more than the ones selling in the foodhall downstairs ok! Some people have too much money!

Anyway, we met D for drinks again in the afternoon, and chatted till about 7 pm! Boys were glued to their online games over at Whiteleys so was not complaining. In fact, they wanted to stay longer.

We only checked out of our apartment at 9 PM....paid an additional half-day so that we could at least have a shower before our flight out of Stansted at 1.30 AM on Tuesday, 29th.

Six nights in London was definitely enough. I seriously don't know what else to do in London if we were staying more days. In the morning, H and I were asking each other "where to go ah??". If we took trips outside of london, then perhaps more days needed.

3 comments:

nbalike said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
wenn said...

interesting..

NomadicMom said...

wenn - Not sure if my boys find it interesting or not though...

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker