Thursday, November 12, 2009

Crazeeeeeee Week!

Yes. This has indeed been a crazy week.
Power has been CUT sooooooo often that I am almost crazy.
Really GILA. I tell you.
I mean the first 3 years we were here, I think there were only like 2 or 3 power cuts, and they were like only for 2 hours or so.
But these last 5 months, the power cuts are like uncountable liow. And for such crazy duration like 5 to 6 hours!!!!
Just this last week, power cut for I don't know how long...as I took the boys out to the mall to have movie and dinner.
Then just this last Saturday (Yup, the day that my sister and family arrived. Greet them with NO power!), power was out from 8 AM to about 2 PM.
Then on Monday morning, from 1.30 AM to 6.30 AM.
Tuesday, from 1.30 PM to about 6.30 PM
And then yesterday, the power went out twice! Once for an hour in the morning, and I don't know for how long in the afternoon as we all went out to luxuriate in the air-conditioning of the malls.
I tell you really CRAZEEEEEEEE.

Why suddenly so many power cuts?? Well, apparently a power station caught fire sometime in September...and that caused havoc. As if that is not enough, some transformer went whacko earlier this month.
We are contemplating to install a generator.... perhaps to lease one.
If buying...we'll have problems disposing when we leave. Aiya donno lah.

As if the power cuts weren't enough.... woke up to find that I didn't have water on Monday morning.... as when the power went off, so did my groundwater pumps. Yeah. Most houses run on water pumped out from the ground. And thus, no water being pumped up from the ground to my tanks. ADUH! I almost pengsan! The maintenance guys did come and fix the problem in a jiffy....But even then, had to wait for the small positive-displacement pump to transfer the groundwater up to my tank. Even now..at this hour, I can still hear my pump working really hard...non-stop.

As if all these craziness is not enough... I took my sister and family up to the Safari Park. Made the mistake of going all the way to the top of the hill for breakfast, and got stuck coming downhill. The jam was really really crazy. As in it took 20 minutes to go up the hill from the point of the Safari Park, but OVER TWO hours to come down to the same point. Really really crazy. And then there was also heavy heavy traffic when we left the Safari Park.
Thank Goodness that the little kids did not complain as much as I expected.
Have to say they were quite good boys lah.

Despite the craziness of the last week, I did have a maid that came to work on Monday. She seems quite pleasant. So far so good lah. But then, today is only the third day. But my first impression was a good one. I actually had one that came for an interview on Friday. First look, I wasn't really keen...but Beggars Can't be Choosers so went ahead to talk to her. Couldn't really understand her. Driver kept explaining to me what she said...but I told him to stop as I needed understand her. Luckily she wasn't willing to handle pork. And I wasn't gonna give up eating pork because of a maid. So told her to go. No point discussing further.

On Sat, he told me there was another maid....and he told her to come on Monday. He said she'll be here at 9 AM. But according to my guard, she was already waiting outside of my house at 7 AM. Spoke to her...blah blah blah blah.. and then ask when she could start.
She actually already took all her clothes over!
So she started on Monday.
I only had a trickling of water in the house, so she cleaned whatever she could.
I told her mopping was most important....and went out with my sister.
I know. I know. So brave to leave a total stranger in the house.
But I couldn't be bothered to stay at home to babysit the maid lah. If really want to steal stuff...work 5 years or whatever, also can steal ler.
Anyway, we'll see how this one maid goes....

6 comments:

stay-at-home mum said...

Good luck with the maid!! pst ... I really think luck plays a BIG part when new maids come coz we really cant tell how they will work out!

wenn said...

all the best..

laundryamah said...

wah liddat i dare not come ledi! i was planning to come cos hubs will b there tomorro till friday..klm has special fares oso wor...how?? was thinking of bringing the kids as well..

NomadicMom said...

SAHM - Yup. YOu can say that again. Can't really tell whether my new maid is good or not. But so far, she seems okay. She is the first maid that cleaned and wiped my fridge without being asked.

Wenn - Thanks.

Laundryamah - Just don't go to the Safari Park over the weekend, then you'll be okay. Just focus on Kidzania if you bring kids...

wen said...

hope you and I will have a good good maid so we have a good good feeling with a good good day..

NomadicMom said...

Wen - So far so good....and still keeping my fingers crossed!

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker