Friday, June 11, 2010

Every Parent's Nightmare

I am so very thankful that my S1 is safe.

It all started as a fun-filled educational trip for Year 8 students. The kids departed early Monday morning and was scheduled to return to school on Thursday afternoon. And then tragedy struck...
Read the details as reported in the Jakarta Globe:
Today's update 11 June 2010 .
Older news - 10 June 2010
- 9 June 2010 AM 9 June 2010 PM (but these proved to be incorrect)

I do have S1's account of the incident, but will not elaborate here at this moment.
There are parents who question the big WHY? and waiting to point fingers. But certainly this is not the time. Search-n-rescue parties are still searching for her. I do pray that she is safe and will return home soon.

I myself are having problems dealing with the tragedy, thus am worried for S1. He seems okay. Normal. He can talk about it but somehow is not really expressing his feelings, which I am sure there will be - fear, sadness, insecurity??? I am worried that he is keeping it all in. He's refusing the counselling that the school is providing. I supposed he thinks counselling is 'girly' or that counselling is for the mentally-unstable. So being a mommy, I wrote to the school and requested a group counselling for the kids that were in this trek. At least, when he sees others opening up, he might. He has gone to school this morning - the school felt that some normalcy will be better for the kids to cope. Plus there will be counselling. I will be going in later ...to speak to the counsellers for some advice.

I didn't know how serious it was until I picked S1 up from school on Wednesday morning. I received a call at 9.00 PM Tuesday on my home phone. And NOBODY ever calls me on my home phone except the carpet man. Yes. Carpet Man trying to sell me carpets. Anyway, so I was a bit cheesed off when the phone rang....thinking stupid Carpet Man calling at 9.00 PM at night so answered with a really gruff HELLO. Then the angmoh voice on the other side asked "Is that Mrs. NomadicMom?"...my heart was like going bit-bop-bit-bop already. Then she asked if I had spoken to S1 earlier (a lot of kids brought their mobile phones with them, and had called their parents to report on their safety...but donno why my S1 deliberate left his mobile phone at home! Plus...he had forgotten my number!!!) which I hadn't. My immediate question was if he was alright. GOD! I tell you...... My heart almost stopped. She assured me that he is SAFE and will be coming back to school the next day (Wednesday), instead of the scheduled Thursday. She went on to tell me that he was part of the group that went trekking in the forest, and due to a flash flood blah blah (can't remember her exact words)....managed to get out, but a student and a guide is still missing. Before I put down the phone, I had to hear her say again that S1 is SAFE. I was soooooooooo relieved that my son is okay but kept thinking of the missing student and guide. I thought they were just lost in the forest, and since the trained-n-experienced guide is with the missing student, things will be fine. I had no idea that they were swept-off by the strong currents until the following day.

The buses were due to arrive at 10 AM, but I arrived at school just before 9 AM....and there was an update on the guide - they found his body. Gosh. I just couldn't help it and started crying. It was just too much. The students had a quick briefing before they were collected by the parents. It was a real sigh of relief when I saw S1. I asked if he was okay....which he answered Yes, but he doesn't want to talk about it. But as we were waiting for our car, he saw his friend...and they started talking. Only then I knew what the kids had gone through....and the severity of it all. I will post S1's account once things are more settled, and after the school has issued official inquiry....don't want the press to simply pick up things and write all sorts. So...later then.

My Deepest Condolences to Pak Ade's family. May he rest in peace.

Please pray that Sei Young will be found safe and sound.

7 comments:

Bryan and Brandon's Mama said...

OMG!!! Just reading this made me cry!!!! I am also so so so happy that S1 is safe eventhought up till now, I don't know what S1's full name is. But you know how I've been keeping myself updated with S1 & S2 happenings, there is some sort of "cyber-attachment". Anyway, I'm talking jibberish here. I am just glad that S1 is home. Praise God! I'll pray for the missing girl. I can't imagine what her parents are going through. Do you know the girl/parents??

mott said...

My heart aso went bipbop so fast reading this. I'm really glad for his safe return..and will pray for Seiyoung. I cannot imagine what her parents are going thru.

That's the thing with trekking in tropical jungles..everytime there is rain, the possibility of flash food is very high.

bp said...

Phew, I heave a big sigh of relief with you too that S1 is safe, thank God. Oh please, let the SAR team or someone, anyone, find Sei-young alive and bring her back to her parents safely.

NM, hugs for you and S1, and may you know how to help S1 cope with what has happened. Do update us here on how the search goes and how S1 is, if and when it's convenient.

Mamapumpkin said...

How traumatic. Really praise God that your son is safe. It's moments like this when you just want to thank God a million times over!! Very tragic la....I hope the kids can cope emotionally, they certainly need counselling. That's why I'm always very suspect about my girl going on field trips, you just never know what'll happen. And of course, ppl say you can get hit by a car 2mr but I'm so paranoid. She'll be hvg all these trips in the near future, leaving KL to climb Mt Kinabalu & what not...& I just don't know if I can stomache her going :-( How? Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Hugs to you, my dear. You must be absolutely traumatised too. My heart goes out to the two who were involved & their families.

NomadicMom said...

Bryan and Brandon's Mama - Yeah. Thank God that he's okay. I was in my BLUR BLUR self, and if I were aware of the real situation, I would have driven up all the way to Pancawati on Tuesday nite!
She was in the same class as S1 in Year 6. Yes. I know her mom...but not very well.

Mott - Cannot imagine what her parents are feeling. The last I heard...She is still not found.

bp - We are still hoping that she will be found alive...

Mamapumpkin - It's part of the curriculum. How to avoid?
Summore my younger one has a Bali Trip next term.... tell him cannot go meh? he'll kill me.

twin said...

bloody scary man!! glad he is ok!

NomadicMom said...

Twin - You can say that again.

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker