Sunday, June 13, 2010

Weekis Horribilis

The Queen of England has Annus Horribilis, I am having a Weekis Horribilis…if there is ever such a term....

This is a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong post.

First Day of the week - Sunday. Though it wasn’t a school day, we were in school for the annual school fair. I had volunteered to help out in the Hair Art Stall in the morning. And since H was going to be coming as well, I had made an appointment with S2’s teacher for a short discussion regarding S2. You see…I had received complaint emails from his teacher regarding his disruptive behaviour in class blah blah blah. At the short discussion, it was more of the teacher talking with H interjecting with a few questions. I just listened. I was quite bothered and worried but the Hair Art Stall did get quite busy and thus didn’t have the time to ponder. And later on (after duty ends), I was perched on a chair on the school lawn sipping champagnes at 11 am (eh…all for charity!!).
What worries???

Monday was kinda normal. Woke boys up, told S1 to have a great time at Pancawati (Whole year group departs in the morning for their 4 day/3 nite Residential Trip. Scheduled to return on Thursday afternoon), and then went back to bed. Was halfway on the road to my Monday Art Class when my friend called to say that our Art Teacher couldn’t make it, but I could still paint at her place. I was kinda lazy so decided to go home instead…to bum around, surf the internet, eat my roti canai with curry chicken etc etc…. Later in the evening, met with 8 other moms to watch Sex and the City 2 at the Premiere Class. Was kinda nice…to be served your Martinis and Nachos inside the cinema. Yeah. Yeah. I know the girls in SATC drink Cosmopolitans… but I felt like a Malibu Martini which they made with Passion Fruit.
How was the movie?
Entertaining chic flick…but felt the first movie was better. If it weren’t for Samantha, I think the movie would be kinda flat. Don’t you think?

Tuesday started off well…. Went to my scrapbooking group….did some pages and then started chatting. And the topic of S2 came up. The year-end report is coming up and as we might be moving end of this year, this particular report could be the FIRST one that the new school looks at. He may be cheeky and boisterous but certainly does not have any behavioural problems. Certainly do not want them to get the wrong impression about my S2! And recently had an encounter with a lady in a restaurant, whom I started talking to whilst waiting for our respective tables. Her 6-year old son was turned down for a place at the American school because of “behavioural issues”. So you can imagine me panicking over S2’s report. I immediately emailed his teacher to tell her that I was coming to see her right after school.

As I was l leaving my house, I checked my email and saw that his teacher had replied and it was a looooooong email….my S2 was a little depressed in class, and even cried in the morning. Adoi! Met with S2’s teacher for about ½ hour and had a pretty good discussion. She had decided to give S2 (and another boy) additional project work outside of class. She felt that the two boys (these two errr…..Nerds are really happy and excited when doing challenging Maths) were getting bored in class with the ‘regular’ and mundane end-of-year stuff. Reason that he cried was that he was abit surprised with his reading and comprehension test results, which were just average. His teacher said “because he is really good in Math, he expects everything else to be the same”. Oh Well…you cannot be good in EVERYTHING.
Anyway, she assured me that the report will not be worded in a negative way, but it will be a target for S2 to be less “silly” (don’t know how she is gonna word that in a proper sentence. Basically, he’s a smart boy BUT it’s his silly-ness that is the problem).

Tuesday stress is NO WAY over.

Since I was in school, I went to the Medical Room to pick up the boys’ test results. Well, you see….the school requires the students to have up-to-date health information and have provided the Mantoux test (Test for TB exposure) at school.
And what do you know????
Both the boys’ results were POSITIVE. I informed the nurse that false positives are quite common for BCG-vaccinated people, but she went on to say that the induration is big…blah blah blah. There were recommendations for Chest X-Ray, Blood Testing for ESR and consultations to a Paediatric pulmonologist. I tell you ……I almost PENGSAN!!!
Not only that...I received an email from ANZA (where I do my scrapbooking) indicating the staff that serves our coffee/tea/sandwiches etc is positive for ACTIVE TB.
Can you imagine my fear?
I was gonna take S2 to his Mandarin Class from school, BUT with these results…… I told my driver to step on it…for the CLINIC, of course!!

Chest X-Ray, Blood Test, Paediatrician…the works. Four nurses were in attendance to take S2’s blood sample because before the procedure is even started, he cried liow. ADUH! Whilst waiting….I was contemplating of dragging S1 to the clinic the moment he returns from his Residential Trip on Thursday. I just want to get all this out-of-the-way!!!!! The X-Ray film and usual blood count results were made available pretty quick …..the Paediatrician had a look, indicated lungs are pretty clear, blood results were consistent with his conditions (allergic reactions etc) but he still required the ESR result and confirmation from the radiologist. Later, after dinner I picked up the full blood report– one hand holding the report, the other with my iPhone to check through medical websites. ESR is NORMAL….which is good! Though I didn’t get the full results, at least my fears for TB is somewhat allayed.

A bit jumping the gun here….BUT… The next day, the paed called to provide with the full results. ESR and X-Ray ALL NORMAL. Phewwwww...

Wait. Wait. Tuesday is NOT over yet. Remember my S1’s Residential Trip? It went horribly horribly wrong. Read here…..and here for the lengthy posts.

Thursday - Somewhat 'normal'. S1 was home from school....and I dragged him to the CLINIC to have the necessary tests done + to get the latest flu shots. I did the tests too....and since blood was already drawn, I tested for my cholestrol and sugar levels. TB results are negative. Phewwwwwww...
But my cholestrol levels are a little on the high side. How high? Donno...as I haven't picked up the full report. The doc called with the results...told me to CONTROL my diet.
Now, H is giving a hard time at EVERY meal. BLeah.....

People and Nature are giving me a hard week. Technology got jealous and wanted-in to contribute to my misery. Have I gone bonkers or what?? What the heck am I talking about?
My Internet lah. It’s been on-off-on-off for the last two days. Frustrating man! I am actually typing this on MS WORD…so that I can cut-and-paste to my blog when there IS connection.

And now…my S2 is ill. Coughing, wheezing and having a fever. His blood work from Tuesday was good. Maybe he picked up some germs at the clinic then. Probably have to keep him from school tomorrow.
Aiyaaaaa…What lah?
It’s Sunday already.
And should already OUT of this Weekis Horribilis!!!

Tomorrow will definitely be a NEW week.

8 comments:

MeRy said...

Takecare..

Bryan and Brandon's Mama said...

Like you said, it's a new week this week. Plus last week was full of stress but NOTHING BAD came out of it. So it's time to also give thanks :)

Health Freak Mommy said...

I hope this week is Weekis Fantastico for you and the kids :)

Reanaclaire said...

hi.. im claire from reanaclaire.com
Patsy gave me your blog.. do u have an email where i can contact u directly about paid posts?
pls email me at reanact(at)gmail(dot)com.. thanks,.

mott said...

Wow.. I often wondered abt the 'guilty feeling' thing.

Glad to hear S1 is coping well. Hate having bad dreams too.

Hope from now on... it'll be much better.

Angeleyes said...

Glad to hear that your son is fine...

May the weeks ahead will be better for you and your family!

bp said...

Phew, that TB scare, glad it turned out to be false. I love how you always are very actively involved in both your boys' school life, e.g. meeting with the teacher, and following up on what had happened on that field trip. I hope S2 is all well now, and S1 is sleeping well. Hope too this has been a better week for u as well, take good care, yah.

NomadicMom said...

Mery - Thanks.

Bryan and Brandon's Mama - Yes I am thankful that all turned out okay. And the new week did get better...

Health Freak Mommy - Not Fantastico but am not complaining!

reanaclaire - Okie

Mott - Am still having odd dreams though. But I have to say this week IS better.

Angeleyes - Thankiu

bp - Have to meet with teacher lah...Teacher complaining liow leh.

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker