Wednesday, December 01, 2010

It is NOT easy to Win!

Serious. I kid you not. It is certainly NOT easy to win an auction on eBay.
Of course I am not talking about things that have 1000s in stock...like the cream for my Psoriasis. I was the only bidder... probably because one can just pop into the Duane Reade or Walgreens to get it. I am referring to things that are really a good deal.
(Errr...you are wondering why I bid then? Well, it's something that I need for my feet, and since it offers free shipping - might as well order it, and when I check into the hotel, I can use it immediately instead of popping out to search for this).

I missed out on a mixed lot of Scrapbooking Tools/Embellisments/Paper etc yesterday... and a lot of Creative Memories Punchers this morning. The retail value for the former was about USD 300 and and the winning bid was USD 53. For the latter, I estimated the retail value to be close to USD 150 as each set of punches is about USD 20, and there were quite a few plus other stuff. The winning bid was USD 78.50.

I followed the strategy of not bidding at the start...but just have these items on WATCH list.
For the first lot... I waited till the last minute, and then put in my bids until I was the highest bidder. I did this by upping 5 USD in one go. I was only highest bidder for like 5 seconds, and then I saw the words "You have been OUTBID", and then the timer goes to 0! ADOI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No time to even increase my bid.

And for the second lot. I thought... okay. I don't follow the same mistake as I did yesterday. I will put in the bids dollar-by-dollar. No more upping USD 5 or 10 or whatever. ALAMAK! I didn't have time to even reach the point that I was the highest bidder. Timing has to be sooooooooooo right to WIN! Really sooo difficult. Who knows that buying stuff can be so difficult one ah?

Anyway, I stil have a few things that I am eyeing. Will see if I can WIN WIN WIN!

If don't win at these auctions, hopefully....will WIN the jackpot at Las Vegas! Hahhahahahah...

4 comments:

bp said...

sounds so stressful, n sure sounds like u win the jackpot if u really had won the bids. by the time u put in the highest bid, would u be over-paying? somehow i have not got round to bidding for anything online!

bp said...

ok, i get it abt the cost savings, that's why try your luck at bidding. can u tell i need my coffee? haha!

mott said...

put a weird amount. sometimes.. 5.51, can beat 5.50

i normally oni start putting in low bid...and then wait till very last 2 seconds and quickly press confirm bid twice. of course, make sure ur computer got no other app running and ur wifi is at it's best behaviour la...

NomadicMom said...

bp - Most times, the winning bid will still be slightly below the retail price. I guessed that is why so many people try to get the winning bid.
Not stressful lah..just abit "kann cheong"...hahaha.

mott - Managed to win 3 auctions this morning. Woke up at 5.45 am! I put in a bid about 1.5 minutes before the end, and then another just like 10 seconds before. cannot wait until 2 seconds lah. My wifi not so "keng" leh!

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker