Sunday, January 27, 2008

A Food Post

I've been rather 'hardworking' lately...and thus have been spending a little more time in the kitchen in the last week or so... Made a few things. Some are fairly successful, some are outright disaster...

Loh Pak Kou & Or Nee
Well, I started off the week making Loh Pak Kou (white radish cake ) and Or-nee(Teochew-style sweet yam paste). I wanted to include dried shrimps but found that those in my larder were a little mouldy. So omitted them and just used lap-cheong (chinese sausage). The Loh Pak Kou turned out alright, and boys did enjoy the Loh Pak Kou which I got the maid to pan-fry. As for the Or-nee... I don't know whether it's due to the type of yam I used, or the method that I made it. It turned out soooooooooooooooo sticky! How did I make it? I steamed the yam, then mashed it, sprinkled some sugar onto it, and then microwaved it, and then blended it. I think it was the MICROWAVE bit that change the yam molecules to some monstrous sticky blob!! I was lazy to make the sugar syrup over the stove, so short-cut it by sprinkling sugar onto the mashed yam and microwave it.
What do you think?
Shouldn't be lazy..hor?

Chocolate Cup Cakes & Sugar Cookies
Another day, I made chocolate cup cakes and cookies...

Chocolate Cup Cakes
Boleth tahan lah?
As usual, made a dozen and gave 5 to the hired-help...my maid, the driver, the gardener and day shift guard and the night shift guard....


Sugar Cookies
Okay.. the decoration needs some more work!!!

But when H had a bite of my cookies, he said "waaaaa... your cookie soooo hard. Throw at the wall, the wall will crack! Your Or-nee throw on the wall, will stick to the wall. Your cookie throw on he wall, will crack the wall!".
You say need to WHACK this fellow on the head or not?
Of course, I merajuk-lah (sulk) after that lah... Told him that next time, he better NOT eat anything I make for my sons! Don't ask me to make any of his favorites anymore!!
Aiya... of course, then he heow-heow tried to cajole me lah....

Crystal Jade Restaurant
On Friday, went down to town to meet H for lunch... went to the new Crystal Jade Restaurant over at Pacific Place. Was pleasantly surprised when we saw that there were lots of PORK dishes in the menu. The other branches that we've been prior were pork-free you see... Naturally, we ordered the Siew-Yoke (Crispy Roast Pork)! It was very yummy! But a tad expensive. About RM 16 for 9 small miserable pieces. Also had the Pei-thann Sow Yoke Chok (Lean Pork and Century Porridge). This porridge not as good as the one over at Huang Ting (see last post). We also ordered the Konn Chow Ngau Hor (Fried Kway Teow with Beef) and Fried WhiteBait. After that, we shared a Caramel Ice-Cream from Cream&Fudge. Very rich and yummy ice-cream! (Not to mention FATTENING as well!!!)

Saturday Brunch
After reading about Laundryamah's recent post about her lunch... I also lau-nuah (salivating) and copycat lah.. Where did she go that I also follow??

Heee heee... Yes. Yes. Me a BIG FAT COPYCAT!

Think this SushiGroove's Signature wall??
We ordered some of the dishes from this List of Recommendation
Avatar Roll
H didn't allow me to take a pix as he wanted to dive straight in. I kena scolding leh... "Take what picture????" was his remark! Then S1 commented "Mom! Blogging is NOT your whole life. Oh! Wait! I think it is!!"
Geez...all this XY-chromosome species picking on me!!!
Cannot remember what is this called...
Tortuna Tower
This is a tofu dish

S1's Tempura & Chicken Teriyaki Bento
S2's Tamago

I Y Unagi

Birthday Party...

Got invited to a birthday party on Saturday afternoon by one of H's business associates. The birthday boy is of mixed Caucasian-Thai parentage. (Errr... more about abit of kepoh-ing about the guests in another post....) So, naturally...the food was also western/Thai mix. We had Panang Chicken Curry, Shrimp Tom Yum, Khanom Jeen, Green Curry, Som Tam, Otak-Otak, BBQ ribs, Chicken Rice, Burgers, Satay amongst others. Yes. Loads to eat. Was rather stuffed, and when we got home, H wanted plain porridge (after all the drinking, you see....) so we ate some more!!!

Today is Sunday!
And today... I made pizza for lunch. Yup! Made the dough from scratch. It was quite presentable and palatable. Forgot to take picture lah... And have prepared the ingredients for dinner. Gonna make roast chicken ala Jamie Oliver. Will see how it turns out. Will try to remember to take a picture.

3 comments:

bp said...

Yummy food, and you have been working very hard!

And your cupcakes, and cookies look nicely decorated! Your husband was trying to be funny lah. I would bonk mine on the head too, if he said anymore!

WMD: Wife, Mother, Daughter said...

Wow so hardworkinglah you. The cookies and cupcakes looked nice. Your husband is so funny...but I think I would have responded the same as you if my husband said the same thing.

I just had lunch...but those sushi picture and your cupcakes...sure makes me drool.

NomadicMom said...

bp - don't think he was trying to be funny lor.. he really thought they were horrible!!

wmd - Need to improve on the decorations lah...

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker