Thursday, January 17, 2008

Two Hours Wasted...

That's the amount of time I spent sewing a stupid cap for S1's Victorian Day. Remember my previous post when I asked for help for some Victorian Costumes?
G pointed to a good site where I could copy the Victorian boy costume(http://www.ivyandmartin.demon.co.uk/summers/victorianboy.htm).

I thought "Aiya...easy lah.." since he already has a white shirt and black pants. And he can wear my waistcoat. All I need to get is the hanky to tie around the neck and a cap.
Again, smart alec me waited till the last minute (Victorian Day is TOMORROW!!!) to gather all the stuff. The hanky was easy lah.. Just cut out a triangle-shaped piece of cloth. And the hard part was the stupid Victorian cap.
I agak-agak (estimate??) the size and on how-to-make it.
Initially, I cut the fabric to a size too big. I sewed it up, i.e making gathers at the edge. Put it on S1's head and he said "Mom! This looks like a shower cap!" . '
Ooookayy...so it was off to the drawing board again (so to speak).
I reduced the circumference and included some kind of the band. This time, it didn't look too much like a Shower Cap. Pop it on top of S1's head.
"Mom! I look like I work at the Pizza Delivery Shop!"
Okay. Okay. I reduce some more. Cut. Cut. Snip. Snip. Sew. Sew.

VOILA!! It's completed!
Woke S1 up (he was already asleep. 8.30 PM is the bedtime ma...and I only finished this third version at 10 PM) to see if it fits.

OMIGOD!!! It's tooooo small now. Can't even sit on top of his head!
How lah??
Fed-Up liow... donwan to cut/snip/sew anymore. Give up lah!

He'll just be a Victorian Boy who lost his cap!!!

Summary??
A Seamstress I am NOT!!!

p/s Will post some pix on Victorian Day tomorrow...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehehe .... not easy to sew :)

luckily Misha school yet to ask to wear those clothes ...

pray hard tak payah .. so that do not need to sew/buy :)

Leena said...

haha..come on. show us the cap.

stay-at-home mum said...

I am not a seamstress too! Luckily I have m-i-l to rescue me in such situations!!

Anonymous said...

hahahahaahha siu sei ngor la...wei should have sewn with the rubber type thread ma..then can stretch la...should hv taken a photo of ur "masterpiece" la...

NomadicMom said...

Misha's Mum - Think in the English Independent Schools in HK, Victorian Day would be in Year 5. But Year 3 ...no Egyptian Day or Australian Day??

Shern's Mom - In my frustration, I TORE out all the thread and THREW the whole thing. 2 hours for nothing!!

SAHM - My MIL is a "siou chia" lah... Lagi donno how to sew!

Laundryamah - Aiya...LAST Minute. Mana ada rubber type thread??? I soooo MAD that I actually DESTROYED the blardy thing before throwing it!!!

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker