Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Back Home after 4 Nites Away...

Where did I go?
I actually went back to Malaysia for Chap Goh Meh....
Boys had their half term...with 5 days off (including the weekend), and initially I thought of bringing them to Singapore. But a phone call with a fellow Malaysian mom changed that. She said she was going back to Malaysia...can't celebrate the start of CNY, at least can celebrate the end of it. And since my H was gonna be in KL for some work the Wednesday through to Friday, I thought it would be good to have him extend his trip slightly and we fly in to meet up.

We flew with KLM on Friday.... as the flights on Thursday were soooooooooo expensive as most people didn't want to WASTE their holiday by travelling on the public holiday itself. As it was so last minute, AirAsia was more expensive than KLM...even without the food and the check-in bags. Of course, KLM is the natural choice. And when we got on the plane...my SWA-KOO (mountain tortoise??) S2 picked up the console from the seat (KLM has upgraded the plane for this route which is now serviced by the Boeing 777 - fitted with individual screens and game consoles for all economy seats) and said "Eh....what is this doing here??? This belongs to Singapore Airlines!!!". Well, in his recent flying experience, only Singapore Airlines had the console and individual screen. There was none on Malaysia Airlines on our last trip back to KUL. AirAsia lagi tak ada. Have to rent little portable ones on our long-haul flight to Stansted last September. So....you see why my S2 is confused!

We had a CNY gathering the next day, Saturday... and since it was still February, and S2's chinese birthday was coming... we celebrated his birthday another time...with another cake. A football-shaped cake. What else? No. Didn't bake it...no time!
Had H's and my friends over. My dad cooked as usual....Will post the pictures once I've uploaded them onto my computer.

I expected lots of CNY decor still around...with Chap Goh Meh only on Sunday, 28th Feb. But everything was taken down at MidValley and OneUtama already. How come ah?????
So it was quite a disappointment lor... for me lah. Not my boys. My boys "choy lei ther sor!".

I hate to say this...but I find it odd that I feel more and more not at home when going home as time goes by. Odd when I have lived here for soooooooooo many years of my life. Why is this? Is it because I've lived away for awhile? Or is it because my things are not around me? Is it because I don't have chores to do. Errands to run? .... If there is no one home, I find myself going upstairs, downstairs ...and donno what to do. So was trying hard to find friends to go have tea or just go out shopping. Friends also have their own family obligations etc. Shopping is bad as you end up spending money that you don't intend to spend. Having tea is also bad as you eat things that you shouldn't too!

What did we buy in Malaysia? Let me think..
* Cheezels. Yes. Cheezels. It cost only RM 3.50 for a big packet, but it costs USD 5-ish. I don't know if it's imported from the States or what. But that's almost RM 20! Can you imagine the difference??
* All sorts of Leong-Cha. Pak Chee Chou, Chook Cheh and some others
* S2's School Shoe. Wouldn't have time to get a pair when we get back. Plus most affordable brands here are quite lousy. I just bought him a pair in early January, and it's really torn and tattered now. Hopefully, this pair that I bought from Parkson will last longer.
*Boys' Vitamins
*Insect Repellant and Patches - Friend asked me to buy for her daughter who has sensitive skin
*Furikake from Jusco
* Bacon Bak-Kwa
* Pistachios, Sour Plums, Chicken Biscuit from Country Tidbits - H just loves all these soury stuff
* KwaChi - another of H's munchies while watching TV
* Books from MPH - this time...mostly H's historical books, + 1 for S1 and a cookbook for me

But I brought so much more JUNK FOOD back... from all the CNY gifts that were brought by friends on Saturday. So I have almond cookies, muruku, some other biscuits, chocolates, sweets, bakkwa, some dessert like thing, mochis, Siew Pow...My whole luggage was filled with FOOD! Lucky customs didn't check!

Anyway, boys wents went back to school today... I actually had an Explorer's Tour to go to today. But was sooooooo tired that I just couldn't get out of bed. So PONTENG. Woke up quite late today...at 9.45 am this morning. Packed up all my CNY decor, bagged the CNY sweets to be given away to the hired help...and actually, I should be doing my grocery shopping now. What to have for dinner??

7 comments:

Bryan and Brandon's Mama said...

hey next time you return to KL, can give me a holler? Would love to meet up!

NomadicMom said...

Anyone can read Chinese???

Brandon&Bryan's mommy - sure! Last trip was waaaay too short and last minute

Anonymous said...

"thank you for sharing, may your life be exciting and colourful!"

something like that....:)

D

Rose world said...

It must feel great to be back home!!

slavemom said...

U nvr miss buying kwachi when u're back huh. :)
Happy Belated 10th B'day to S2!

NomadicMom said...

D - you can read meh? Or you ask your hubby to read?

Rose - Yup!

Slavemom - Thanks.
H loves to munch on kwaci and he doesn't like the ones here.

Mamapumpkin said...

What la u...U shudda called me 2 go shopping/yumcha!

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker