Tuesday, March 09, 2010

IB or British Curriculum??

Your opinions and comments appreciated.

Which do you think is better?
A British Curriculum or International Baccalaureate?

Boys are currently in an "International" British Curriculum. I use "International" because the school does NOT exactly follow strictly to the British system. For one, they have scrapped certain exams, eg. my S1 did not have to sit for the SATs at the end of Year 6. The school felt that with the SATs, too much time was spent doing revision papers to obtain top marks, whereby they could learn more with the time. Also, the IGCSE is used rather than the traditional GCSE. Furthermore, their school does not provide A-levels, but the IB Diploma.
This clearly shows they are gearing towards the positive attributes of the IB curriculum, right??

This is our last year here in Jakarta....and a change of school is required with our impending move. Thus I am thinking of totally switching to the IB curriculum, i.e. taking up the Primary School Programme (PYP), Middle Years Programme (MYP) and then through to Diploma in the boys' new school. The IB programme develops the child as a whole.... and not only academically. I was a product of the old SPM (O-level equivalents) and then A-level system. Although I did great at a London University, I seriously and humbly do not think that life is about As , First Class Honours and what-nots. Globalized citizens need to think out of the box.....

I guessed I have answered my own question on which is a better system.... but then, your views are much appreciated too!

7 comments:

slavemom said...

Sorry, no constructive opinion to give. But seemed like u've got everything figured out.

NomadicMom said...

Slavemom - Hope so. Hope so...

Mamapumpkin said...

Definitely IB. I'm from d A-level gang & the Hubs is from the IB gang so naturally, I think A-levels is better! But we spoke to an educationist who's been in this line for 30 years, and he said IB. In fact, he recommended the best route for Tee in Msia, that is to go to a local private school 1st, then do O-levels, then IB.

Anonymous said...

i actually love your own writing taste, very attractive,
don't give up and also keep writing due to the fact it just very well worth to look through it,
looking forward to browse alot more of your own well written articles, kind regards ;)

Anonymous said...

Approvingly your article helped me altogether much in my college assignment. Hats afar to you post, choice look ahead in the direction of more interdependent articles in a jiffy as its united of my choice subject-matter to read.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.

candorschool said...

It is really good program and it is very useful to the students.And students can interact and they gain some knowledge.International curriculum

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker