Saturday, December 01, 2007

Year 3 Egyptian Day

Friday, 30th November - Egyptian Day for the Year 3s.

The kids in Year 3 have been learning about Ancient Egypt for Humanities this term. They learnt how ancient Egypt is, how they live, etc. Kids also learnt to write their names in hieroglyphics. So to finish off the term, they had an Egyptian Day at school, and kids are supposed to wear their Egyptian costume and bring in party food.

I knew about the costumes, as we were given illustrations of the costumes about a month back. Boys' costumes are basically just a white skirt which my friend got a tailor to sew up a bunch. Cost about USD 3.50 each. Kidsmade their own jewelled collars at school. What I didn't know about was the Party Food part...as lately, S2 has been quite bad in giving me messages from school.

So, as I woke him up at 6.10 am to get ready for school, he bleary-eyed said "Mom. I have to bring sandwiches to school today!". "NOW only you tell your mother??" said H. And then I added "yeah... where am I going to find bread and stuff to make sandwiches at this hour?". "Mom. No need sandwiches. Any savoury"..... Geezzzzzz. Certainly didn't give me alot of time. What do I do? I was gonna go to school to see how cute he looked in his costume...so, I popped by into a bakery to buy some buns on my way to school as the Party Food.

When I got into school, the kids were all changed into their Egyptian costumes...and getting their make-up done. S2 had blue and black eye-shadow for his eyes. He looked really cute. The teachers were also all dressed in their Egyptian garb, with the dark-drawn eyes too.



Some kids having their make-up done.

Skinny S2 getting up from the chair after doing his make-up.
See his skinny ribs?????

Kids in their Classroom.
They actually addressed their teacher as "Pharoah" on this day. Hahahah..so cute!

Ancient Egypt Board in the Year 3 Area


Jars for the Pharoah's Organs?

Another Life-Size Egyptian Prop...

The Cartoonist (alamak...cannot remember his name) - the Scandinavian guy who has a program on Nicklelodean Channel.... was in school on this day too.... to demo his cartoon-drawing skills, and to promote his books. Naturally, all the kids wanted to buy his books. S2 had been bugging me for the last couple of days for USD 8 to buy one of his books. But since I was in school, I bought three... bought the one on Monsters, Wild Animals and Robots. Didn't buy the one on cows though. This kiasu mom also joined the queue to get him to autograph the books lah.

Yes...that is my skinny S2 again...

4 comments:

winniethepooh said...

that is so interesting! :) i never remember that we hv such things in school..dont worry S2 will bulk up soon when the time is right :)

mommy of 3 angels said...

really make learning so fun & interactive...why ah our time not like this.

ya lots of guitar ribs to strum!! hehehe

NomadicMom said...

winniethepooh / Mommy2Angels - Even today's time, Malaysian schools where got such things one? It would be good if they can learn their history about Hang Tuah and Parameswara like this... Kids dress up on one of these days...huh???

Anonymous said...

Love reading this.I am a Year 3 teacher and this has inspired me for my next topic on Ancient Egypt-thank you.

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker