Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Boring Summer?

SUMMER HOLIDAYS
Boys have been complaining that this Summer is sooooooooo boring. No travels to ANYWHERE.
Are they spoilt or Are they spoilt?
School holidays must go somewhere one meh?

We've been so busy in the last couple of months. So many things to do.. the start-up, moving house, my TESOL course etc. How to plan to go away for a Summer Getaway like usual? Not possible lah. At first, I thought I will send the boys back to PJ with my mom... but then H said that the house (I should say apartment now) would be toooooooooooo quiet without the boys, and he says we would need the constant need of 'scolding them' to break the monotonous mood despite of our busy schedules. Hahhaha.. So boys had to stay put. They were not to happy I have to say.

Parents being parents... we tend to spoil them ... I know I said "School holidays must go somewhere one meh?", and yet I went to book a short 4 night getaway to Bali for early August. YES. Bali again... because we can't getaway for too long, and easy to book. Plus boys look forward to it all the same. H initially thought about Perth. But with Perth, we'll need more days.. plus the flying time... (or rather the connecting at Changi etc). Bali at this time is pretty expensive compared to other months... SUMMER holidays and all. But what to do.... we spoil our kids, right?

NEW HOME
Move and unpacking all done. Did I tell you that they (the movers) had to chop off 3 cm off my dining table legs? They tried and tried to bring it through the door, but they just couldn't. The carpenter was then called upon and off the legs went! But it's okay lah. My dining table was slightly higher than the norm to start with. So it sits pretty well now. Re-upholstered my 6 OLD dining chairs....FINALLY. After donno how many years of saying that I was going to. Thought they were quite reasonable.. Less than 100 ringgit each. Then I asked them to make 2 new chairs (so I have 8 chairs...) ...then my throat almost got cut. But I guessed still okay lah. 350 ringgit per chair. Okay, right?

Everybody is setting in our new home. And with the internet fixed... all is good!
Am happy that things (my furniture, junk etc etc) can fit in quite nicely. Well, I did sell quite a lot of stuff (maid's bed, maid's stove, 2 teak loungers, teak chairs and table, Ikea dining table, a sofa...). I do still need a cupboard though. YIKES! More buying? As if we don't have enough stuff?
When I signed the 'Completed Job' sheet.. saw that we have over 225 boxes (big and small, including sofas and beds). Took the removal company four whole days to pack and move the stuff over. How did we end up with so much stuff, I don't know.
I tell you... really scared of moving!

TESOL COURSE
As for my TESOL course, am working vvvvvverrrrrryyyy slowly. Completing only about a unit per week. To date, already completed 12 units. 8 more to go. Not bad lah hor? More than halfway through! My next unit is the tough one.. ALIEN symbols!
Okay. Not exactly Alien symbols .... but those funny (phonology? Or whatever they call it) symbols that you use for pronunciation. We never learn it, and neither does my children at the British school... So how come we only use it to teach Speakers of Other Languages? Why native speakers do not require them? Mmmmm....

START-UP
We are still looking for a location for our start-up. We have found one that we all liked but the owner might be a problem... telling our assistant that the price is not negotiable, then giving a higher price than what we were told, then the lot is let out already etc etc. We then contacted the agent, and then received an official proposal. So donno lah.. Off to see more shoplots tomorrow...
And once we finalise on the lease, we need to send the renovators in... Lots more to do!
Website is coming on nicely. Still need to purchase photographs, add and edit content, and some bits and pieces here and there.... Met with the website designer yesterday and I could see that he was a bit unhappy when I complained about the drop-down menu. I mean I DO want the drop-down menu, but when I click once on say "Our Services", I expect to see the main page of "Our Services", and I don't want to need to click TWICE. He kept saying drop-down menus are like that. I said if it's really either/or, I will rather have my main "Our Services" page shown than the drop-down menu. He was like "you want this menu, now you don't want this. Drop down menus are complicated to make blah blah blah ". I got a bit cheesed-off and then said "that's why I am engaging your services right? If I don't need all these fancy things like drop-down menus, I could design my own website like what you saw before" and proceeded to show the simple yet workable website that I made with Joomla. Lucky the 'manager' was more sik-chou and he said "yeah yeah".
Still so much to do... instead of one step at a time, think need to accelerate a bit liow....



5 comments:

bp said...

Hello, hello NM! Thanks for your response just now to that earlier post, and I'm so happy for u n your family that u r settling nicely into your new pad! Big pats on your back with so much to juggle, and so much happening with your course n startup, not just the move n unpacking! Wow, I don't know how u managed to fit so much in, n I don't mean the move from the house to this apt now ;)... Hats off to u, woman!

Keep going, all the best with your new ventures, hope those teething parts with the website design n location for your startup, etc etc etc will be sorted out, everything will fall nicely into place. think u will grasp those alien symbols in no time, u will be able to read every single word in the dictionary, hehe!

jacss said...

hey, that's really a lot to do & accomplished & all seemed very headache lah...u must be one tough woman!!
im eager to know what big bis u r doing hehe

mun said...

350 ringgit to custom make a chair sounds reasonable. I am also interested to know what business you are doing. All the best to you, ya!

CL said...

225 boxes.. wow... there are lots of boxes there... yes, i am also scared of moving. The last time we moved, we had around 60+boxes, I really dont want to think about the next round we move...

Good luck in all your undertakings... and enjoy your holiday in Bali..

NomadicMom said...

bp - Hiya. Thanks for dropping by.
Things are slowly falling into place...(fingers crossed) and hopefully, we can start renovation of the shoplot soon. My older boy has also been helping to have 3D drawings of the shop layouts. So it's always like a family project!

jacss - BUKAN big business. Starting small first lah. One small shoplot.... I will "launch" it on my blog too, okay?


Mun - I supposed okay lah for RM 350 But I thought I want to reduce reduce some more ma. But the guy didn't want to reduce summore ler

CL - Your move is just personal effects? No furniture? We apa pun bring over (across the city only ...so of course bring EVERYTHING that can fit into the apartment)... pails, hangers, dustbins, ladders.... my kicap, pepper, cans of food... hehehehe

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker