Saturday, July 30, 2011

The moon and starts are aligned for.....

..... maid problems?

Do you believe in astrology?
That the alignment of the planets, moon and stars will have an effect on certain happenings on earth?
I won't exactly call myself a believer, but then don't you agree that sometimes the occurence of similar events at the same time just makes it more than a coincidence?

RE - maid problems. I actually received an email from a girlfriend back in Malaysia two days ago... asking if I have jalan to find her a maid here. The thing is I've not heard from her for quite a bit... and out of the blue, I hear from her. Her maid had just left and she is having problems finding one... even after going through the regular channels. I even joked that I would start a maid agency complete with training facilities after I'm done with my current start-up. Will train the maid to speak either English or Bahasa Malaysia, how to cook Western and Chinese meals, how to use washing machine, blender, vacuum cleaner etc etc.
Yeah. Right!

One maid in my house also driving me GILA liow. If I have an agency full of maids, I think I will go INSANE to the extent that I become the most feared!

And then I just read about mamapumpkin's maid problem .... I cannot believe that she actually paid RM 2100/month for her part-time Filipino maid that works half-a-day for a five-day work week! Certainly more than what I earned when I graduated from college, and mind you...I am a UK-trained engineer with a Master's degree from one of the top engineering faculties in the world! The best is yet to come.......
This maid of hers cabut to another employer!
Because a driver is provided to ferry her to and from work!!!!
How very spoilt!
Furthermore, mamapumpkin gave her a load of goodies...thinking that she will work harder blah blah blah...

Doesn't work in the world of maids. Regardless how well you treat them, they will not 'behave' how you think they would. They will not be the loyal employee that you think they would be...

I remember my friend/landlady back in Bangkok. She told me about her maid of more than ten years, whom she treated well (annual bonuses of USD 10 K ) etc... when she left, stole soooooo many things from her. And not only that, the maid had been telling everyone that her employer (my friend) ill-treated her etc etc. What the&^**&$*#, right???

And then my aunt - she had a nanny who looked after her son right from birth ....and worked for over ten years too. Also stole jewellery and money, and MORE - took my aunt's passport!
You say lah! Why like that?

That's why I never ever say that my maid is 'good'. Even if they appear to be 'good', inside you donno what they are plotting. And I certainly do not treat my maids like 'friends'. Don't get me wrong..... I don't ill-treat them. I just don't sit down and chat and ask her about her family blah blah blah. Don't be overly nice. I do not get attached to them nor totally rely on them like some of friends do. I will not 'die' even if my maids run away or whatever.
Yes. I admit I will moan and groan, because of the inconvenience.
But I won't be totally helpless.

Errr... do you think that is why I have frequent maid problems?
They hate working for the WWW - Wicked Witch of the West!!!!

6 comments:

Health Freak Mommy said...

I have never been lucky with maids too. Had 6 maids, including temp ones in 8 yrs. The previous one was good but had boyfriend problem. The current one - her mouth is shitty and is domineering. Sometimes I wonder if I am too fussy.

mun said...

I was told to not trained the maids here to speak English or BM, just your local dialect like Teochew, Hokkien or Hakka so that they can not easily find employment elsewhere. Anyway I do not have a maid and have never had one before.

stay-at-home mum said...

no luck with maids here too! I think its just too difficult the stars and moon aligned before getting one.

Mamapumpkin said...

I'm learning, I'm learning! Albeit the hard way! I'm now paying RM2200 for an Indon but full day Mon-Fri, but not live in. She's irritating me already cuz always taking short cuts and now puasa month, so has become lembik. I'm still looking!!! And I hear you about loyalty, I believe it now that they have no appreciation whatsoever & are not brought up with any values so don't have the brain capacity to do what is right. Real shame.

CL said...

I am glad that I dont have maid problem ... hence the messy house ... ;)

NomadicMom said...

Health Freak - 6 in 8 years not too bad lah. When I lived in Bangkok, think I had like 5 maids in 10 months!!!

Mun - that one a bit susah la. Unless maid has a knack for languages.

Sahm -so have to close both eyes!!

Mama pumpkin - cannot reason with them one la. They won't understand. Sometimes it is harder to reason with the maid than a two year old!! btw, I'm told that teachers are paid about 220 USD only. Even those English speaking ones who works for the 'local international-type schools are only 600 USD. Think all should come and be your maid!!

CL - messy home filled with love!!

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker