Monday, February 11, 2008

Awfully Chocolate...

Firstly, I am not writing a paid post for this shop. I just want to express my "huh? Like that also can" thoughts. I'm sure people in Singapore are very familiar with this shop, as it is where it originates. My first encounter with this shop was when I went to have a romantic dinner at French restaurant with H, which was next to this cake shop. Being the kepoh-woman that I am, I went in to look-see and asked to have a look at the cakes. The place was decked out in all white with modern space-age looking chairs and tables. I could perhaps seat 20. I asked to see the menu. NO menu. NO displays of the cakes. They do have a little card that reads out 3 different types of cakes. I asked if they serve coffee or tea. No. How about water? Answer was a big FAT NO too! A shop that is all decked out like a cafe does not serve anything. They only sell 3 different types of chocolate cakes. Period. (Yes...they don't even serve their cakes. More about that later...) I was telling H "waaahhh...like that also can open shop and survive?? Cake must be d@mn good??". And they are opening another shop nearer to my house.

My Singaporean friend was killing time while waiting for another appt, and decided to go try the cakes at the shop. She was relating to us that she went to buy the chocolate cake. I was like "Oh....yeah..the shop that sells ONLY 4 types of chocolate cake one" (I forgotten maaaa...)
"What 4? Only 3 lah! And so chamm. I get them to cut the cake, and we had to use tissue paper to eat the cake. Plates also don't have. No coffee. No tea. Water also don't have!" was her quick reply!

And today was the FIRST time I tried the cake. Those badminton mommies dropped by to buy a cake for another friend and I followed. Yes. Still selling only 3 types of chocolate cake. And the whole place had like 4 air-conds but NON were turned-on. Aiyo??? Why like that one? We were just saying ..if in Malaysia, sure tutup already.

The verdict on the cake?
Good but NOT THAT great. I've taste better ones lor....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was it value for money? By the sound of it, I am not sure if I will be attracted to it but who knows.

stay-at-home mum said...

In singapore, 3 types of cake and one type of icecream.
The cake not too bad la. But at one time, when the lao pan was away on maternity leave. some few years ago, the cake really cannot eat!!

eastcoastlife said...

Gong Xi Fa Cai!! Xin Nian Kuai Le!!

May you have great wealth, good health and abundant joy in the Rat year!!

I love chocolate cakes but found their cakes so-so only. I only bought their cakes twice and when they refuse to take order for my hubby's birthday cake (my fault becos I only try to order it 2 days ahead), I never go back to them again.

NomadicMom said...

Judy - It costs about USD 16.50 for a half kilo cake. Quite comparable with other bakery here lah..Everything here is so d@Mn expensive. But if comparing with Malaysia, I'll say expensive lor.

Stay-at-home Mum - Yeah..my friend read the "ice-cream" bit..and then said "aye...coming soon oni". Cake not bad lah..but I won't purposely go there to buy the cake lor...

eastcoastlife - Gong Xi! Gong Xi!
Cakes are alright lah..but I think for selling 3 types of cakes, they don't really need TWO shops with tables and chairs leh. I have nothing against, but I won't purposely go there to buy the cakes.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha.....Dad will DEFINITELY try it out. And then, complain like mad after!

-g

sting said...

got picture of cake ah? :-)

oh, happy valentine's day :-)

NomadicMom said...

g - Okay..when he comes, I'll bring him there...Sure Complain lah..He doesn't like chocolate cake also...

Sting - No photo lah. Anyway..it is really really plain looking lah.

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker