Friday, June 20, 2008

Harvest Party

If you recall my "More Cupcakes" post....I mentioned about a Harvest Party.It's a party for the kids to harvest peanuts and cassava. The party was organised by S2's classmate (very wealthy....). The whole class was invited to their weekend villa (located about an hour from the city...on a hillside) for harvesting of peanuts/cassava, swimming and lunch. The villa sits on acres and acres of land, whereby there are a multitude of fruit trees. Apparently, the time is right for harvesting the peanuts and cassava.

I didn't even know about it until a friend texted me and asked if I was going. I told her that we weren't invited...but actually, whole class was invited. S2 just DECIDED himself that he didn't want to go and thus did not bring back the invite. Even after FORCING him to bring the invite back, he still did not. What do I do? I got my friend to bring hers when I met her one evening. I thought it would be a pretty good experience for my URBAN boys, and RSVP-ed immediately to the host. When S1 found out that we were going, he was pretty disappointed and was very adamant that he was NOT going to do anything there!

But lo and behold. Our S1 had a ball of a time. He was sooooo into plucking out all the peanuts from the ground. I had to pry him off from the peanut garden to join the other kids to have a swim. And even then, he wanted to cut short swimming to continue plucking the peanuts. Told him that the workers would have completed the task already. He was mighty disappointed!
S2? That lazy fella. Plucked one plant, and then complaint about an insect bite and blah blah blah. I had to force him to go back into the peanut garden and PRETEND to pluck so that I could take a picture of him. After that, that fella ran back to the villa to join the girls for a swim.
Lunch was local delicacies and BBQ..and of course we were served peanuts and cassava that the kids harvested. :-) One of our friends was relaxing on the day bed in the terrace...and casually mentioned that it would be good if we could have foot reflex as well. Then it would be ALL perfect! heee heee...I couldn't agree more! Hahahahh

We left with bagsful of cassava, peanuts and bananas (Yau-sik, Yau-lik). I gave 90% of the stuff to the staff. Just kept some bananas for the cake and cupcakes that I baked on Monday.

8 comments:

bp said...

What fun! Such a harvest party, harvesting of the peanuts is new to me... thanks for sharing, and for the pictorial account also!

But hehe! Always like that... one boy will enjoy doing something, and lo and behold, the other boy will always somehow not like to do it!

Still, it's nice that between and harvesting and swimming, your two boys enjoyed themselves!

Anonymous said...

wah!!!!!!

Ur S1 is sooo kan-lek!! HA HA HA!!! I'm so surprised he had fun pulling it, I'd imagine it to be HOT HOT HOT!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wah, that felle so rich ah!

NomadicMom said...

bp - It is nice to get out of the city and enjoy sound "cleaner" air. The boys did have fun...one harvesting, and the other swimming with the girls! ;-)

Mott - It was sunny but not that hot. But the bright sunshine quite blinding lor...but then S1 crouching down most of the time ma...It's slightly up on a hill. So when the wind blows, it is quite pleasant.

HijackQueen - Yup. Income disparity here is very very wwwwwiiiidddddeeee.

sting said...

that's a great experience for the boys ya.. err.. why did S2 not want to go initially?

NomadicMom said...

Sting - S2 didn't want to go cause he's an URBAN boy lor... Don't like to do all these things one.

mommy of 3 angels said...

your boys total opposite! hehehehe

NomadicMom said...

M3Angels - Opposite in certain things...but very much alike in many ways too!

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker