Friday, October 24, 2008

Day 2, Napa Valley

Saturday, 11th October 2008

Started off this morning with a hot breakfast of eggs benedict and coffee at Lori's Diner, at the corner of Sutter and Powell Streets. This time, we were smarter. H and I shared ONE order. It was just nice. One egg and half a muffin each, with enough hash browns too.

After breakfast, we head off by foot to collect our rental car from National at the corner of Mason/Geary Streets. We rented a Compact-type car. The guy over at the counter was urging us to upgrade to a convertible for a small sum. Old-folks like us stuck to our Compact. For Malaysian standards, it certainly was a decent-sized car....something to the size of an Altis. What we did get extra was a GARMIN GPS. I have to say that this was a handy gadget! A really must-have!....especially when you don't know the roads around.

We were set to go!!

With the GPS, we could afford to detour from our NAPA VALLEY destination......and where did we detour too????

Berkerley!

Why? To visit someone at the University?

Nope!

To a Scrapbooking Shop!!!
Hahahah...
Yes. I am serious. I had seen a little advert in the local San Fransisco Guide and mentioned to HT about it the day before. At first, she advised against going there, as it might be way off from the highway. And she was concerned with what H was going to do while I look at scrapbooking stuff. But later, she did a check on her maps and called me the night before to inform that it was not to far from the highway towards Napa Valley. So, with our nifty little GPS, I typed in the address of the shop and away we go.

Arrived at the shop at 10 am. Just as its doors were opened. Talk about ON TIME!
I was like a kid in a candy store!
Going crazy with the stickers, acrylic stamps, albums and such.
H was really good and patient. Actually tolerated the WHOLE TWO HOURS waiting for me. Yes. I was in the shop for TWO HOURS!
GILA. I know.
I was kinda hesitant with my hoard and wanted to put some of the items back. But H said "Aiya...just get them lah. Come all the way already". So, I bought two albums, 5 packs of refills, loads of sticker embellishments, chipboards, letter stickers and acrylic stamps and blocks. It costs $$$$ which is kinda alot for scrapbooking stuff (more than my three pairs of Cole Haan's and two pairs of Stuart Weizman's) . Yes. GILA GILA scrapbooker!

With me a happy girl, we continued our journey north to Napa Valley. Initially, we wanted to visit two to three wineries....but then decided to just visit one. Besides, H can't really drink that much as he has to drive. We went to Domaine Chandon (from Möet & Chandon) at Yountville.

Gardens at Domaine Chandon

Vineyards at Domaine Chandon

We arrived just in time to join the tour around the winery. H as usual, was like "must we do this tour thing?". Of course, we must. I insist.

Hey...I wouldn't have been able to take the following photos if not for the tour...as visitors weren't allowed beyond without a guide.

Steps to Making Base Wine

Big Vats to Ferment the Base Wine

Barrels of Wine - Aging Process (I think)




After the tour, we proceeded to the tasting room... Bought this package to taste the various bubbly. As H had to drive, he only had about half a glass. I, on the other hand, hantam about 3 1/2 glasses. Heeeeheheeeee....Paired the drinks with a cheese platter and an order of pate.
Yes. Eat. Drink and be merrrrrrrrryyyyyy!

We headed back to San Fransisco through Sonoma Valley (instead of taking the same route as we came) and via the Golden Gate Bridge.

A Vineyard on our way through Sonoma Valley
(donno what's the name)

Wanted to stop near the Golden Gate Bridge to look-see and take photographs....but I supposed the whole of San Fransisco had the same idea as the designated area was FULL and we could not get in. Have to contend with taking imperfect photos of the famed bridge from the car (BTW, H says my photo-taking skills is very very bad .....)

Golden Gate Bridge....taken from afar

Golden Gate Bridge ....closer

Okay....photos NOT perfect...but better from nothing lah. 

Actually,  I realised later that the area was jam-packed NOT because people wanted to see the Golden Gate Bridge but more of the the AIR DISPLAY that was taking place...more about this in my next post. Very sleepy now...

6 comments:

sting said...

welcome home! wow! sounds like you are having a really great time compared to your hubby lah! gotto drive, cannot drink and tolerate 2 hours in that lil shop! hehe..

can't wait to see your load :-)

NomadicMom said...

Sting - Hellooooo... Sure I have more of a great time than him lah...He has to pay the bills wor....hahahah...
I haven't taken any pictures of my purchases lah...

Anonymous said...

Heheheheh... So syiok..at the scrapbook shop!!!

P/s : In her mind, she ALREADY cleaned up. She's bloody forgetful.... grrrrrrr

NomadicMom said...

mott - Yeah. Had the shiokest time in the Scrapbooking shop!
Aiya... your *** really pain in the a** lah. Donno what I'll do if I were you...

bp said...

Thanks for sharing so many pictures through all these posts. One of these days, you must show us your scrapbook masterpieces, too!

NomadicMom said...

bp - I am still learning different scrapbooking techniques...but my pages are generally quite simple. None of those layering and complicated stuff you see in the magazines. :-)

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker