Saturday, October 25, 2008

Day 3 - SF, San Jose, Monterey, Bakersfield...

Sunday, 12th October 2008....
This day was our 12th anniversary... the OFFICIAL ROM one..... 
Did not do anything special to celebrate. This was gonna be a loooooooong day.

Firstly, both of us were jet-lagged....and woke up at about 5.30 am. Couldn't go back to sleep. Lazed in bed till it was a decent time to get breakfast. 

We went to a nearby diner for brekkie. As I was really starving, announced LOUDLY to H that this time, I do NOT want to share! I want my OWN portion!!!!
What a mistake it was!!!
I had ordered scrambled eggs with sausages; and H - bacon omelet. 
Aduh! The portions were HUGE! And came with loads of hash browns and bread.
I didn't even touch my scrambled eggs...as I tucked into H's 3-egg bacon omelet. 
This was a waste of money. *sigh*

After breakfast, it was still too early to do anything. Our plan was to be at HT's house at about 9.30 am....and it was still too early to start our journey. So....hung around at Union Square. Two gila Ah Beng and Ah Lian in the middle of the square taking photos...actually..more of the Ah Lian forcing the Ah Beng to take photo. Heeeeheee

Union Square, San Fransisco
(There's also another Union Square in NYC)

The Powell & Hyde Tram

After sitting awhile in the middle of the square like 'sor-lous', we decided to just check-out from the hotel and head-off. (HT said that she called me at the hotel and was shocked that we already checked out at 8 am.) We did drive abit around San Fransisco....went to Chinatown (again....this time by car. The last time was Friday nite which was by foot), and then to Lombard Street (the crookedest street in the world) and then off to San Jose on the highway via the Bay Bridge.

Driving down Lombard Street
(Can't see the curves...Not even from the bottom. I did try to take a pic...Those nice photos you see in postcards must have been taken from an elevated position)

Despite of our slow and leisurely drive, and unplanned stopover at HSBC and Safeway, we made it right on time at HT's house. I thought she said apartment, so when the GPS directed us to a street of houses, I wasn't sure if I got the right place. When I rung her doorbell, I was a little bit cautious in case I got the wrong house. 

NOPE. It was indeed the right house. HT, her hubs and little C greeted us at the door!
Sorry...no photos as HT warned me NOT to put any on my blog. Her daughter is sooooo cute. I took tonnes of photos of her and will scrap a page of the various pose of little C munching happily on her snacks. We hung around her house for awhile, and then went to place (errr....donno the name leh) for Dim Sum. 
Wow! Very packed restaurant full of Chinese.
After brunch, we went to another place for coffee....again forgot the name..but HT calls it "Disneyland place"...hahahah...cause the buildings are so nicely painted that it does feel like "Main Street USA". 

Then....it was time to say our Goodbyes..... Hugs Hugs. Till we meet again, my 'ole friend.

H and I then set the GPS for Pebble Beach, Monterey....... home of the US Open. Took us some time to reach our destination from San Jose. Donno what time but we paid the Entry Fee of USD 9.50 (I think) to enter the Pebble Beach property where the famed 17-mile Drive is located. 
View from the Club House 

17-Mile Drive 
(Can't remember what is this area called)

Famed Tree that has become the Pebble Beach Symbol
(BTW, this tree is trademarked!!! One must not use it's image commercially without the approval of the Pebble Beach company)

From Monterey, we head off towards Bakersfield...where we will put up for the night. 
Why Bakersfield
Not that it is some terrer place. It is quite in the middle of no-where. And it just seems like the best place to put up for the night for our onward journey to Las Vegas....yes, we are going to Sin City. I tell you...the road from Monterey to Bakersfield was really really remote. There was a stretch of 50 miles that has NO town in between whatsoever. Thank goodness for our GPS to guide us through....

Desert.....

Check out the Wind Farm!

Oh yeah... this was my FIRST time driving on the RIGHT side of the road. H was feeling a little tired, so I took over for the 50-mile stretch of ULU land. Straight road, I can handle...if there are turns and such, I think I would be confused as to which lane I am supposed to take. 

Anyway, we got into our hotel in Bakersfield at about 8.30 pm. Not too bad lah. We were hoping to eat at the hotel's restaurant...but they were having a private function and was closed. Didn't want to drive out again...so just ate instant noodles in the room (which we got from Safeway earlier). We stayed at the Quality Inn and Suites, which I pre-booked. HT was telling me that I could have just drive into any motel on the way.... But as I was abit kiasu, I decided to just pre-book. 

So early nite...and instant noodles on our Anniversary. :-)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey..at least you had the sense to buy some instant noodles! Imagine if got nothing!!! Happy belated anniversary!!! No syiokalingam screams of orgasm meh? NO kids mah..

WAKAKAAKAKAKKAKAKAAKAK

Anonymous said...

aiya mott....sure hv la..lying in bed wor..u belif meh???

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, mott & laundryamah are so funny! Ya, btw, happy belated anniversary! :)

2xMum said...

Wah wah wah wah... so nice places to visit!

Nevermind la, at least got instant noodles and also spending some special moment together is the most important!

Happy Belated Anniversary! :)

NomadicMom said...

You ALL SEMUA SALAH already.
This is the night that there was absolutely NO SHIOKALINGAM SCREAMS. Both of us were so tired and taxed driving through the small ULU desert road....that I hit the sack immediately after my Instant noodles lah....

NomadicMom said...

BTW, Thanks for all Anniversary Greetings....

:-)

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful trip! i oso wanna go!

bp said...

Happy belated anniversary! Wow, you covered so many places... met up with old pal, and drove some more! Best of all, got to spend time with the hubby =).

NomadicMom said...

Wen - Good Trip but not long enuff lah..

BP - Yeah. Yeah. It was good "catching up" holiday. No kids to fuss about nor scream at. :-)

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker