Sunday, May 03, 2009

Old Stuff...

The boys' school is organizing a 'garage sale' on the 9th of May for parents/staff to get rid of unwanted items. It's aptly named Trash or Treasure...as one man's trash can be another's treasure.

We've reserved a table to hawk-off our old stuff....Initially, the only thing that we could think of was H's Pool Table, which he bought about a year ago. Then I thought I could sell off my old costume jewellery, music CDs, old Thai silk handbags, H's ties, boys' Pokemon gamecards, old Kodak camera etc etc.

The thing is.... How much should I tag the items?

Need some help here. I don't want to price the items so high that I have to lug it back home. Neither do I want to put toooooo low a price.

How much should I sell each CD
USD 1? USD 1.50? Or just 50 cents?

How about old costume jewellery?
They are generally Anne Klein, Monet, Dorlan ....all good brands and still in very good condition. You think USD 5/- for a pair of Anne Klein earrings are too much?

What about those Thai Silk handbags?
USD 1/-?

Please give me some ideas.....

Thanks.


8 comments:

stay-at-home mum said...

if buyers are mainly expats, and proceeds go to charity, you can price a bit more.
but if you just want to get rid of those stuff and dont care how much you get for it, then your pricing looks OK!!(esp if they are in good condition!)

Woner why they dont have such things ins chool here. I usually give it to the Womens welfare assn, where they raise funds for the less priviledged, and their prices are similar to what you have stated. About S$2 for a CD

LHS said...

i ditto with stay-at-home-mum!

constance said...

i think US$1 is a good deal for second hand stuff. cos for me I'd have given it away free to the Salvation Army anyway. with a cheap price, you can be sure it will sell to those who need it and the proceeds go to charity, so both sides get a good deal.

NomadicMom said...

SAHM - I've never been...so I don't know why actually goes and buy the stuff. The expats or the drivers?? Hahha
Yeah..think I will price the CDs about USD 1.20 - 1.50.
THe proceeds go to ourselves lah... cause have to pay for a table to display our goods/junk. Heheh
Boys clothes and toys, I've given to the orphanage lah. But things like CDs and handbags, where to go??

Huisia - :-D

Constance - Salvation Army here very far lah..
Proceeds goes to us lah...since have to pay for a table. Some things I will give free lah...but some like very sayang to give away...

Mamapumpkin said...

This is a tough one. I usually just go one gut instincts :-) I'm not being much help, am I? Unfortunately, it's a very subjective area because if I liked something bad enough, I won't mind paying the moon for it, even if it's second hand yet I won't spend even pittance on stuff that I don't like, even if it's dirt cheap.

NomadicMom said...

Big Pumpkin - Was putting a price on the stuff today...had to say that I sort of "cin-chai" put lah... Really donno what is a right price.

wen said...

have no experience in this, but u can try for higher price for very good conditions items like ur jewelry. as for CD, i dont think it can bring higher value though..good luck

NomadicMom said...

Wen - You are right...CDs don't fetch much. In fact, most things cannot fetch much. :-(

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker