Monday, May 17, 2010

Bali with the Girls

As mentioned previously, I went to Bali with the girls on Friday, 30 April 2010 for three nights. Our hotel was only finalised the day before..... Was wondering if we might have to sleep on Kuta beach or something. :-P

C wanted to try out The InterContinental Hotel, and as all three of us are going to bunk together in one room, figured that the cost won't be too exorbitant. Eh...actually, still exorbitant lor! Paid USD 320 per person for the three nights. Even without the extra bed, the rate was still USD 260 per nite. Gila, right? InterCont is nice...but not sooooooo special lor. Seriously, I wouldn't have paid that rate if travelling with my family. Plus now with the boys bigger, I would need two rooms! Waliow! Over USD 500 per nite?
Khai-wann-siow!!!
Plus I find the hotel toooooooooooo big..over 400 rooms. To walk from our room to the lobby is like doing a marathon. I think a hotel of about 200 rooms would be just right. They are small enough to walkabout, and big enough to have all the facilities that we want - pool bar, beach bar, restaurants, etc.

Anyway, I digress.

The first thing we did when we arrived was to reserve spots at the Must-Go restaurants with the help of the hotel conceirge. We then headed out to Kuta area as C wanted to buy some swimwear. I had bought mine from a specialty shop last year, and C seems to like the design....so that's where we went. Alamak! Cannot remember the name now... but it's on the one way street that winds towards Kuta Beach. That woman bought two pairs. The shopkeeper was very happy!

We then jalan-jalan abit around the shops and market.... I bought this el cheapo white dress for wearing on the beach over my swimwear. Paid USD 4 for it. Cannot complain lah...so cheap. From Kuta, we went over to Metis for dinner.




Reserved Table


Metis is the new name for the famed former Kafe Warisan. It has since relocated, and changed its name to Metis. More canggih? I don't know. But certainly less than a mouthful. The new location is bigger, but the look almost the same. Open terrace overlooking rice fields. Food is still as ever good! The foie gras - YUM! YUM!


Metis Signature Dish...Pan-Fried Foie Gras

It was indeed a really memorable dinner... good food, good company and some good eye candy!

On Day 2 - We were contemplating to go to either St. Regis or Bulgari to have breakfast. But lazy gals like us decided to just pop over to The Four Seasons. Why need to find breakfast? Aiya...the rate for first night do NOT include breakfast leh. Anyway, I was in charge of our pool money - and on our way out...contemplated if USD 40 was enough for breakfast. They all said it wouldn't be enough. So what do I do? Trott off back to the room to get more money....which again is like going for a marathon. So blardy far.

We walked on the beach from our hotel to The Four Seasons, and then took their buggy to the main restaurant. Happily ordered the fresh juices, coffee, waffles, pancakes etc...

With Compliments from the Four Seasons....
(Can you see my box of BRANDS Chicken Essence??)


When the bill came, we almost pengsan. USD 80! For the three of us!!
We decided from then on that we should tone down on our spending....hehehehe. No more expensive meals!!! But we were going to kudeta later that night. So how?
Just go for drinks and not for dinner lor.
We spent the rest of the day lounging by the beach.... was deciding whether to go for a massage but again, was kinda expensive so gave it a miss.
We had wanted to catch the sunset at kudeta.... But when we arrived there, we saw that tonnes of people also had the same idea. Surfer dudes in shorts and all. Kinda rowdy. Certainly not the kudeta I remembered. But as the night wore on, the crowds thinned and the atmosphere became more inviting.
Our Sangria at kudeta

We stayed till our stomachs growled. C recommended a restaurant where the locals go....supposed to be great food, great ambience at local prices. However, the silly taxi driver couldn't find the place. We were so hungry that we had dinner at Ikan Bakar Cianjur! At least, it was cheap!

When we got back to the hotel, we continued where we left off at the hotel beach bar. Nice nice...with the sea breeze in your hair, sand in between your toes....

Day 3 - We hired a car and driver and went to Ubud. C wanted to purchase some paintings. That woman ah. Donno anything about art but want to spend RM 2000 per painting. And she was looking for two pieces. She almost made one of the artist gila by repeatedly asking what his inspiration was when he painted a particular piece. I was like whispering...money is the inspiration lah. The piece that she was referring to is a very generic piece of art that you can find EVERYWHERE. Aduh....
We had Babi Guling at Ibu Oka of course. That is a MUST in Ubud, right? Jalan-Jalan in Pasar Ubud and some streets; and then went to a spa recommended by the driver.

Aiyo. Beh-sai lah the spa. The moment I went into the room, I was like "Ah? No air-con?"...but since the others spa-ing, I also go lor. Then I went onto the bed, aiyer...the towel where they put around the hole (for your head) have some kind of smell... I clenched my teeth and reluctantly placed my face onto the yucky towel. As if that is not enough, I looked down onto the floor. Nope! No bowl of flowers. Not only that, got stains on the floor one. Aiyer...really really beh-sai. When the masseuse told me to turn over, my chest was like drenched with my sweat. Aduh! No air-con really beh-sai lah. Really disappointing spa experience! Next time, must do research! Cannot simply go to Ah-Chue Ah-Kow Spa. Aiyaya.

However, the coffee place that he recommended was not too bad.... At least a positive thing after my bad spa experience. Then it was time to head back to Jimbaran Bay, where we had seafood dinner on the beach.
So-so food at exorbitant tourist prices...but nice ambience. We talked. We laughed. We cried. Errr...actually, only I cried. We drank. We sang....until we were the last patrons there. They must be eager to get rid of us as they brought us our bill without us requesting for it. Heheheh...

Day 4 - When we woke up, S had already left. She had an early morning flight back to KUL. C and I had breakfast together...and then I went for a massage at the hotel spa. Yes. It was expensive...and honestly, not worth the money. But I come all the way, must at least try out the spa at The Intercontinental, right? At least, I know...and can say it's not all that great. The spa definitely looks, smells and feels 100 x better than the one we went to in Ubud. But the massage is so-so. The masseuse at my regular spa here in Jakarta is waaaaay better, and at a fraction of the price!

I practically was running from the spa to the room, and then out to catch a cab to the airport. Started to panic when I saw roads were closed for a religious procession. Almost missed my flight!!
As for C, she opted to stay an additional night.....
Till our next Girly Holiday!

4 comments:

wenn said...

wow, interesting!

Bryan and Brandon's Mama said...

Nice! Thanks for telling me that Cafe Warisan has changed its name. Next time, try Mosaic & Bebek Bengil also :) I'm planning for a trip towards the end of the year. I simply lurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrve Bali!

laundryamah said...

looks like Bali is not a place for massage hor..too many tourists la

NomadicMom said...

wenn - Bali is indeed an interesting place to visit.

Bryan and Brandon's Mama - Mozaic.What type of food? Will try next time.
As for Bebek Bengil...don't really like what I ordered the last time though. Neither did H.

Bali - I supposed it IS more expensive than Jakarta. The spa in Ubud is same price as my Jakarta one...but quality wise, my Jakarta spa is sooooooooo much better!

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker