Thursday, November 27, 2008

Flight back home from the States

Thought I should finish all my posts of our USA trip before I fly off to Melbourne in less than 2 weeks time. 

From my previous post, I wrote about our AA flight from JFK to SFO was delayed. Only found that out when we were at the airport, after checking-in via the auto-machines. Had a shock to see that the boarding time was 3 hours later than our original departure time. This delayed departure would mean that our arrival in SFO would be very very close to our departure flight from SFO to SIN

So..from NO need to queue at the auto-machines, to a LOOOOOOONG queue of the check-in counters. We tried to get an earlier flight to SFO
Not possible. 
We tried to have our bags directly transferred from the AA flight to our SQ flight at SFO
Not possible.
H then called SQ to inform them of our impending LATE arrival at SFO.
We were told to notify the AA ground staff on arrival at SFO. And I did that but was rudely brushed aside by the big fat AA ground staff...telling me that I COULD catch my flight. (H had gone ahead to try to retrieve our bags from the carousel and to check-in at SQ counters).
Well, we MISSED our flight from SFO to SIN, and had to stay one night at San Fransisco. out of our own pocket. Supposed to get AA to pay for the one night...as it was their fault.  But we couldn't find any AA staff in the airport at that hour (it was almost 1 am), and we were out on the concourse rather than the terminal. *sigh*

Anyways, we manage to get seats on the next SQ flight out, i.e. the 12.40 pm flight (19 Oct) via Seoul. The SQ staff recommend that we stay over at the Hyatt. H and I proceeded out to the Free Hotel Shuttle rank.... I think there were about 3 or 4 different shuttles to other hotels, and the one to Hyatt was still no where to be seen. Was gonna just stay in the other hotels but they were either full or more expensive than the Hyatt. Then another shuttle came. Again. Not Hyatt's. At this ungodly hour, there were no more passengers. This particular Chinese driver said "if you give me tip, I take you to Hyatt".  
Of course, we took up his offer. 
We had to give the drivers tips regardless....
As he was driving a COMPETITOR hotel's shuttle, he had to drop us out on the main road rather than OUT in FRONT of The Hyatt. :-)
Check-in was seamless. Had a hot shower, and then zzzzzz.
When we woke up, we headed straight to the Airport. Had breakfast in the lounge...FREE ma. What for pay extra to eat the hotel's breakfast?? hahahahhaha

Then I remembered KC. The friend that I didn't manage to meet while I was in San Fransisco...as he was in Boston then. I recalled that he said that he would be on the afternoon flight to Singapore on the 19th. So...I went up to the attendant and check to see if they have this passenger on their list. And lo and behold...she said "he has just checked in five minutes ago". Within ten minutes, he walked into the lounge. 
It was GOOD catching up in that hour or so.... 
No. Not in the plane...He was in the FRONT of the plane, and we were waaaaaaaaay back in the plane. Hahahah.

Luckily, the flight from San Fransisco to Seoul was NOT full. Both H and I managed to have three seats each. ...Our own SLEEPER BEDs. Economy-style. :-)

On arrival at Seoul, we did meet up with my friend again. 
The flight from Seoul to Singapore was really really full. And I mean 100% full. So no choice but to get squashed up in our little seat. But at least this leg is not that long. By the time we arrived in Singapore and catch a taxi to sister's place, it was like 2 AM already!!!

The next morning, we had breakfast as one of the nearby foodcourts in a market, and then dad (Yup. Dad was in Singapore then...helping sis with babysitting and cooking) drove us to the airport for our flight home.

All and all. H and I had a good trip to the USA. 

:-)



 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wah! your mom is at your home and your dad is in your sis's home!

Very good babysitting serbis ah...!!!

I'm just amazed you remember all these little details. Me? I wud forget every single thing..the moment I touched down. HAHAHAHAH

NomadicMom said...

Mott - Yes. Very lucky to have mom and dad willing to babysit the grandkids :-)
As for the details, I have quite good memory for these things...but come to people's names and faces...ADUH! I'm terrible!

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker