Friday, August 05, 2011

How Chinese am I?

In recent years, I've been saying that "the older I get, the more Chinese I get"

Errr... But is this true??? We went in the Quicksilver Cruise today (actually, cruising back to Bali from Nusa Penida as I am typing this), and the whole boat was filled with Chinese. Yes. China Chinese. Though our skin colour is the same, we may look similar, we are worlds apart. After today, I feel that I am not that Chinese after all. I guess I am a Malaysian?? But those sword wielding fellas call me a pendatang. So what or who am I??

How things have changed... In the olden days, (okay..not that olden la) people were all learning to speak Japanese to earn Japanese Yen. Now, everyone is learning Mandarin to earn the Chinese Yuan. All the cruise guys started speaking to us in Mandarin first... And naturally my H and my S2 was like blurr. Whole boat of hundreds, only 2 sets of Caucasians. My S2 was like "finally! Some western people" cause whole boat was chattering in Mandarin...

And now on the return trip, there's karaoke!! When the first couple went up to sing, H was like "I knew there's going to be trouble when I heard the music!" hahaha... And S2 commented "their singing is worse than yours!"... Meaning I should be happy that I am better than some people??? And the cruise director or what you call her is singing Mandarin songs....with an accent of course!

I was telling H that times have really changed. Even when I was shopping in Ubud market, the market vendors were all hawking their goods in Mandarin!

Okay lah.. Later

7 comments:

mun said...

Just curious to know your observation - in what way are you worlds apart? (apart from knowing/not knowing how to speak and write Mandarin that is).

NomadicMom said...

Mun - mannerisms, gestures...
Have you been to china? Or been swarmed by Chinese tourists ?

Even those Balinese workers only learn two words "pai Twei"!

Once I almost fought with an old Chinese lady in Hong Kong's Ocean Park. Stupid old cow was pushing and pushing and knocking me against the rail.

mun said...

Hi NomadicMom, yes, I've been to China. Now I get what you mean. Even the other day when I was at the China Visa immigration counter here in Malaysia, one man whom I assume is from China was leaving no room for personal space in the queue. He was behind me and kept sticking close to me even when I tried to move forward away from him. I could feel his breath down my neck - so yucky! In the end, I left the queue, so annoying!

Elena said...

I never have bee nto China, but I would like to visit it someday.......I have 2 girls and I am a single mom, so it is quite expensive for me now.

Twin said...

Yea ... So sad but true. They have a 'reputation' around the globe. So happens we are Chinese too. Times have definitely changed - that's why our kids are learning mandarin! :D

NomadicMom said...

Mun - Maybe he did it on purpose for you to 'FEEL' him. Hehehhe..

Elena - China is an interesting place to visit, rich in history. But the thought of being shoved left right centre somehow is not so appealing.

Twin - Yeah lor. Times have indeed changed

mun said...

Hope not! Yucks!

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker