Sunday, August 21, 2011

S2 promoted?

I thought I should have a different post for S2... cause the other post on S1 was already MEGA long.

S2 is now in Year 7! My little fellow is now in Secondary School... I refused to buy new uniforms for him so he is now swimming in his kor-kor's old uniforms. hahaha...

When I found out that S1's old Maths teacher was going to be the head of Year 7, I was mega scared that he was going to be S2's class tutor or Maths teacher. Thank goodness. NO. That did not happen. This teacher will be teaching Set 5.

My S2 - whom has a more natural knack for numbers did do well in his assessments (when I was tutoring S1, he actually did some of the math problems and had correct answers!), and is in Set 1 for Mathematics... so no need to FIGHT hard for him. And I know this guy is quite competitive and he will want to work hard to remain in the top set, so no need to worry so much.

When he came back on the first day, he told me that he is in Set 1 for Mathematics, then showed me his sad face and said that he is in the last class for English. Me being the mean old nasty mom was like "See. I told you that your English sucks. " This S2 of mine always refuses to read or do any work. Then S1 piped in "I'm sure you are mistaken. You cannot be in the last class. Maybe Set 2 or 3 but surely not last". That. I have to agree. Can't be the last set. Go find out properly. Case closed....

Over dinner the next day, S2 was like "what is criticise?" I was like "hah??? You don't know what is criticise? That's why we all say that your English sucks! That's why last set!". Then the fella was like have this cunning smile.....
"Actually. I am not in the last set. I am in a special set. All the kids from last year's 'authors in the making' are all in my English class." then proceeded to name the others. Then continued with "What is patronise? " and some other words that I've forgotten.
I asked "is this what you have to do in school today?"
S2 - "Nope. I searched Dictionary.com myself"
He was pretty pleased that he was 'promoted'. Just him being DODO lah. Never find out properly, and be sad on Monday for nothing.

Overall, I think he is pretty happy in Year 7. Errr... but then, it has only been a week. Was very motivated to finish his homework. His dad took him out to the DVD/games stalls in the morning, and he kept telling his dad that he had to go home and do his homework. And he was doing his "Health and Safety" poster for ages last night. Rewriting and rewriting to get it perfect. Hopefull this lasts, and I don't have to ngamm-ngamm-chamm-chamm the boys to do their homework.

Okay lah. Better go do MY homework.

3 comments:

mun said...

want to do homework over DVD games! I think you can relax now since your S2 is so hardworking.

jacss said...

hey congrats on d promote!! IGCSE sounds very tough...im getting worry coz my boys would be adopting the syllabus next year onwards. really scare they can't cope...wish mine could be half as good as yours *wink*

NomadicMom said...

Mun - Spoke too soon. Yesterday, he was trying to write 300 word essay while watching Spongebob. Sure take forever lah.... I couldn't monitor cause had to go out for a bit...

jacss - I think if compared to asian schools, the maths and sciences are not as challenging. It's the other subjects. Geography, Resistance materials, ICT, economics etc etc....
Mine are lazy bums... have to kick!

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker