Sunday, August 14, 2011

School STARTS Tomorrow!

This year, the school term is starting a week earlier.... Not only that, school day will be 30 minutes longer now. When they first announced it, lots of hoo-hah from the angmoh moms and moms of little kids. I, on the other hand, welcomed it in a way. Okay. Granted. The traffic is the killer. But I think the kids do need the extra time to cover everything in the curriculum.

Starting tomorrow.... I have TWO in the Secondary school. No more visiting the Primary school. S1 will now be in Year 10, i.e. he will be taking his iGCSE examinations in May/June 2013. And my S2 starts Year 7.

I had to run to the bank to pay their school fees last Friday (deadline is Monday. Otherwise they charge interest! Darned school!). I have to say that I have never carried so much cash in my life! At the counter, the guy was like "did you confirm?". I was like "Ah??". And he said that above a certain $$ have to confirm. Confirm what I don't know. Then he went off to ask his superior if he could proceed with the transaction. I had a whole list of errands to run and I certainly was not going to carry the $$$ USDs in my handbag! Thank goodness his superior said okay.

I tell you... only in this country that they are soooooooo particular with the notes. They will only accept the USDs in a certain H series and up. And the notes must be crisp. No folds. No tears. No blah blah blah. The guy actually CARESSED every single bill. No joke.

I had a note that is really 'charnn' and that one they totally did not want it. No need any CARESSING. After CARESSING 204 pieces of the notes, he said that I had TWO bad notes. I was like "so what does that mean?? Those came directly from Citibank". They were surprised that Citibank had BAD notes. Seriously, the notes look okay and crisp. But like I said, he was CARESSING it like nobody's business... and found that the little silver strip on the side is 'broken'. So what it means is that I have to pay USD 3 per BAD note. Damn cut-throat. So... I had to pay an extra USD 6 for them to accept the two pieces of BAD notes. .... ONLY in this country that the USDs must be like newly-minted.
In America, even if the note is damn 'charnn' and had SHIT, also good as gold.

I tell you ah... I damn 'simm thia' man.... especially when I am not exactly satisfied with the academic quality of the school. Pay so much, and still not as expected. *Sigh*
We told S1 that since we are paying school fees now, perhaps he should think of going to a better school in one of the countries that the Ah Ees reside (England? Australia?). But he doesn't want to, of course. His friends are all here... plus he is still a bit young, hor?

Anyway, there are two more terms of fees to pay. And each time I have to do this, I will moan and groan.

7 comments:

Charmaine said...

Even in these days of internet banking, you have personally deposit the cheque. Pretty dangerous to carry so much green bills. Haven't they heard of internet transfer? Quicker and secure.

mun said...

Don't quite understand why after you pay some extra charges they will accept the BAD notes? I thought BAD notes mean more chances they will turned out to be counterfeit notes?

Kim C said...

This post of yours really cracked me up! I HAD to read it to hubby and we were just laughing so hard!

NomadicMom said...

Charmaine - Yes. There is such a thing of internet transfer. But school fees are quoted and paid in the greenback. And with that going down and down,- to get best rates, we had to exchange the money at money changers.

Mun - BAD notes really basically means they are not nice, clean and crisp. they will not accept 'hamm choy' notes even if it came from the President of the USA!

Kim C - Seriously. This guy was really really CARESSING the notes. NOrmally, the guys just sorta flip through the notes and see they are okaY. This one was so thorough!

shoppingmum said...

I know what you mean. I have shaky hands to when I pay my kids' school fees with a thick envelope which I kepit so hard in my handbag. Kiasi

stay-at-home mum said...

aiyo!! Why cannot give cheque or GIRO the payment!! Poor you. In that country I would be nervous carrying so much money in cash around.

NomadicMom said...

Shoppingmum - H always said that I shouldn't be 'sau chann keok chann'. Hahahah

SAHM - Aiya... have to go money changer to get good rates ma. Bank's rates sucks lah.

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker