Monday, February 21, 2011

Brain Freeze!!!

I'm sure you have experienced Brain Freeze once or more whilst enjoying that Ice-blended Frappucino or Slurpee.
But have you experienced it when there is no drink in hand???
I did. This morning.

After bidding farewell to H (got to go to work, of course!), I made sure I was dressed up properly. Ear muffs, scarf, boots etc. As I stepped out of the hotel lobby, I glanced at the thermometer. The digital display read -18 deg C. Same as the day before. Shouldn't be a problem, I thought. It did seem okay. Only problem was having to balance my walking.... The pavements were quite icy even though gravel had been used to increase traction. H joked the day before that perhaps I should have football boots studs on my UGGs. Hahaha..
Anyway, I headed to the Main Railway Station to purchase my tour tickets. It was a short walk so not too bad. It was when I walked towards the Esplanade that I felt it. Brain Freeze...from the cold! And then I couldn't feel my face. Shiaks!
I jumped into a bookshop to heat-up, then ventured out again. It didn't take long before I felt it again. Saw a cafe but decided to skip it. Boy! Did I regret it. LV, Longchamp, Laura Ashley etc etc...but no cafes! (actually got one. Think my brain freeze distorted my eyes!!! Haha)
Then when I saw a kiosk, I quickly dashed in to shelter from the cold and got a cup of hot latte.
Had to say that hot beverage did work wonders, as I managed to venture out to the Kauppatori (Market Square) area to snap a few pictures. Not many stalls though, as it was so cold. There were fish stalls hidden within little tents. Other than that, it was quite deserted. In spring, this place will be filled with flower stalls.

This probably is the coldest place that I have ever been. The sea by the Kauppatori was frozen! Really amazing views! I will post some photos but Peter Lik, I am Not! Soon after, I was slowly losing my face again...and had to pop into a nice cafe by the Esplanade to have a fattening Hot Chocolate with whipped cream. Then it was time for my bus tour of Helsinki. The tour had one stop but lazy and cold me just stayed on the bus. Saw the main sights of Helsinki.... I told H later that I probably know more about Helsinki in my one day than his 20 previous trips combined. Hahaha...

After the tour ended, the moment I exited from the warmth of the bus, I felt my face gone again and I reaaaaaaally needed to visit the little girl's room. Found another nice warm cafe and the most logical thing to order was hot soup....which I thought was pretty expensive at 7.50 euros for self-service. Luckily it was yummy and hot. Initially, I had great plans. I thought of taking the ferry to Suomealina Sea Fortress after the bus tour...but after having a frozen brain and a face that isn't really there, I thought I will do that another day.
What did I do then?
Retreated back to the warm and cozy hotel room to thaw out those frozen brain cells!

7 comments:

Bryan and Brandon's Mama said...

I think i really would have died from the brain freeze. I could barely tahan Macau in Jan, which was 6-7 degrees!!

mun said...

I read your post also I can feel the cold. I think I would be frozen on the spot if I were there.

Anonymous said...

Rob said that if you move there, we're only coming during summer! Hahahaha...


g

CL said...

this post is so funny.. over here, it is pretty cold too, but not as cold your side...

I suppose one need to put on some face cream and cover the face with a scarf, it helps..

NomadicMom said...

Bryan and Brandon's Mama - maybe try to put your head into the freezer and try??

Mun - whole body won't immediately frozen one. It will be your ears and nose first!!

G - winter I come to warm London! Haha

Chew Lee - think must use ski mask la!

jacss said...

ooh dear...it kinda freak me out of the place totally!! made me ponder how the citizens there survive their life...torturing lah!!

NomadicMom said...

jacss - actually, other than the cold, this city is quite livable. Voted one of the best cities to live in. If got car, it's not that bad la.

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker