Thursday, February 24, 2011

Ferry Ride Back to Helsinki

After spending a day (below freezing!! At -14 deg C) in Tallinn. Am now sitting in a comfortable seat in the Superstar Ferry bound for Helsinki.

What exactly did I do?

The guide greeted me at the Arrival hall of the ferry terminal. Yup. I was the one and only person... So basically had a personal guide. Started off with a guided tour around the city (in a heated car, of course), saw the main buildings... President's House, old Tzar's Palace etc etc. The guide gave a brief rundown on the Estonian history, its invaders, its culture, products, independence - which is tomorrow.

After circling the old Medieval Town, the driver dropped us off and we started on the walking tour. Did you know that there are two medieval cities side-by-side? Anyway, it was freaking cold and the medieval cobblestone was all covered with ice and mighty dangerous. Nearly fell a couple of times. The guide was quite afraid and kept asking me to hold on to her. I said better not. If I fall, just I alone gall. Don't wanna pull her down along with me!

We visited an old Medieval Church and sat in the same pew where the current president usually sat. Not that it mattered to me but she seemed excited that my butt should be 'somewhat' touching the place where her President's butt touched. Hehe.. And then bits of gossip about him... Divorcing his American wife to marry a woman 20 years his junior. Men!!

She took me around the old town and pointed numerous buildings which I have forgotten... Brain frozen liow, you see! I had earlier left my ear muffs in the car!! Anyway, one thing I remembered was a Pharmacy that was over 600 years old and is still a pharmacy today!
The last bit of the tour was a traditional Estonian lunch at a restaurant. It was then free time around Tallinn.
First thing I did was pop into Esprit (yeah. It is right in the middle if the old town) to buy a hat to cover the head and ears. Can't risk any more brain cells dying!! Walked around and decided to go for a manicure to kill time.
Yes. Tallinn is where Finns come to play, shop, eat and have fun. Not forgetting to make glasses! My manicure costs Euro 12. Cheap lo. No need to tip summore. And would you believe that some flowers including arrangements are cheaper than in Jakarta?
And when I checked out the supermarket, 2 big slabs of marinated baby back pork ribs for less than 8 Euros. Think in Jakarta, probably have to pay about USD 30 for the same amount!
Think I've found my affordable spas!!!

And as I boarded the ferry, saw some people carrying cartons and cartons of booze. Must be d@mm cheap.

Okay la. My iPhone running out of battery liow.

5 comments:

stay-at-home mum said...

I dont know how you manage in that cold! I HATE it when its that cold. But is that going to be your "home" over the next few years?

mun said...

Better to be the only one, no need to share airspace in the car/bus with other tourists. How was the traditional Estonian lunch?

NomadicMom said...

SAHM - Look-see only. Not confirmed yet.
I supposed if we really move here, we'll have a car and that would minimize the time "outside". It's warm and cozy in all indoor places. Their heating is asuper-efficient.

Mun - eh. Lunch was pretty good. Was gonna just eat half but bantam all! H said my face seems to be soooooo round already!

Bryan and Brandon's Mama said...

2 hour ferry ride not exactly near? But then again, you're used to huge amount of time taken to travel from point A to B!!

NomadicMom said...

Bryan and Brandon's Mama - haha... You are right I supposed. So used to sitting in the car for ages going nowhere. 2 hours ferry ride to a different country seems pretty reasonable. Haha.. Of course normally people stay overnight in Tallinn... Like how we drive to Camerons or Port Dickson??

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker