Sunday, February 06, 2011

Gong Xi Fa Chai!!

GONG XI FA CHAI!





Nope. I am not late... it is still Chinese New Year. Today is only Day 4. Still another 11 days of festivities....
As we did not go back to our "hometown", we have not had alot of yummy goodies. Only bought some kum, Nien Gao, Sweets, Preserved Plums & other fruit, plus some love letters and kuih bangkit. Don't know if I mentioned it, but the pineapple tarts that I baked earlier was devoured in less than 3 days by the 3 greedy boys in the house...so none left for CNY.

Didn't really decorate the house up.. but did buy new bunches of pussy willow and some fire-cracker "lights"... Somehow, didn't look too CNY though.

This year I was pretty lazy so did not cook on New Year's Eve. We went out to a restaurant instead. Had the customary salmon yue sang, of course. Also had Peking duck with the duck meat stir-fried with spring onion & ginger, soft shell crab, fried lala, crabmeat soup, steamed egg and iced mango pomelo. Meal was rather satisfying... as I hadn't slaved over the stove all day! Hahahha

We had CNY parties on Day 2 and Day 3.... funnily hosted by angmoh families. Okay - Day 2 was not exactly totally angmoh as the wife is Chinese. Their house looked so much more festive with all the RED decor and Lion puppets etc. Most of the angmoh guest were either wearing RED, chinese-style tops or even cheong sams. Felt so odd in my brown top! Hehehehe...

CNY Day 3 was totally angmoh. When I asked what she wanted me to bring... she actually requested that I bring yue sang! Not exactly in those words. She said "the chopstick toss noodle dish"! I was totally blurr until she slowly described what the dish consisted of. Of course I wasn't gonna make it lah. Had to go to town to get it from a restaurant.

And today, we went to our regular Chinese Buffet Brunch at Mulia Hotel... Was quite disappointed today. Not only the price per pax has increased, the food variety has decresed. Previously, there would be Peking Duck, Roast Pork, Suckling Pig, yummy Fried Prawn Wontons ... and today, they said those items are Ala Carte! Obviously H complained to the manager... and as they recognised us as regulars, they gave us a complimentary plate of roast pork and suckling pig, and apologised for the change. With this change, I supposed we will not be coming here again... I mean I can understand the 'expensive' items taken off the buffet but even cheap stuff like chicken feet? I was a bit surprised when they told me that was Ala Carte too! Looks like we have to find a new Chinese Buffet Brunch place to go to.....


2 comments:

mun said...

Happy Chinese New Year and Gong Xi Fa Cai to you and your family! I'm a new to your blog and I must say I really enjoy reading about your adventures living as an expat family. Keep up the good blogging! :)

NomadicMom said...

Hiya Mun - Welcome! Gong Xi Fa Chai to you too!

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker