Monday, February 28, 2011

Moving to Munich?

No. No. Not talking about me. Although H's company has an office here, this city has not been offered to us. It is a nice city... but I think it would be quite difficult to live here as my German language is absolutely ZILCH. (You probably think that it would be the same in Helsinki...as I don't speak Finnish either. But EVERYBODY speaks English there. The moment I hesitate a little, English is immediately spoken. More about Helsinki in a different post)

Anyway, if you ARE moving to Munich and is wondering where the heck you are going to get those Asian grocery...FEAR NOT. Just around Roseinheimer Platz Station, there are like three asian grocery stores already. The Hong Kong Market is located inside the building that is attached to the Station, and just outside there are two - one I think is called Asian Shop and the other ..am not sure. They are pretty well-stocked. Well, well-stocked compared to the Jakarta shops that I am used to. Prices looked reasonable too.
I was just telling H that because we lived in Jakarta where everything imported is so expensive (cheese, wine, ice-creams, etc), the prices in Europe doesn't look as scary as I initially thought it would be. Actually, some things are even cheaper than Jakarta. Can you believe it? Haagan Daz is definitely cheaper here, amongst other things.

Of course, there are things that are waaaaaay more expensive than Jakarta...hair cuts, manicure, massages etc. But I chanced upon a salon that does Men's Haircut for 9 Euros. Not bad leh... and the salon looked decent and professional. Am sure you can find cheaper ones further afield from the city center. And there's a nail place (New York Nails?? I think it is called) in this Rosenheimer Platz Station that does Manicure for 15 Euros.More expensive than my usual Jakarta place but think boleh tahan too.. as it looked professional. Eh... some places in Jakarta would charge this amount for Manicure one leh...

Shopping in Munich seems nice.... although I have not really bought anything other than two pairs of Esprit tights from Karstadt Departmental Store (on sale... 2 pairs for 5 Euros!) and a set of fondue forks from Kustermann (very very nice homewares store!!). Besides the usual brands that we are used to, there are lots of shops that look really really interesting. The market - Viktualien-markt has lots of interesting stalls - fruits, vegetables, flowers, cheese, wine etc etc.. and the road lining this market is full of meat and sausages shops. Germany is definitely not a place for non-pork eaters. Everywhere also pork, which of course is good for porkers like us. Hahhahaha

Okay lah... I need to go sort out my voucher for my tour tomorrow...

5 comments:

mun said...

Munich sounds like a nice city to visit. My spouse would love it, he loves to eat pork, hahaha. Enjoy your tour! Please snap many pics for us with your DSLR. :)

CL said...

ha.. you are a true globe trotter.. husband works and you just tag along from city to city.. envy envy...

was in Munich this morning... ppl here dont speak much English, still need to know some basic German to get around...

stay-at-home mum said...

Big change from muslim country where pork is ahrd to come by??

Anonymous said...

Cheh - wherever you are, I will bring you Asian groceries when I visit!

g

NomadicMom said...

Mun - it is a very nice city... Will post pics when I get home!

CL - not exactly a globe trotter. So which part of Germany are you located? Munich is pretty, if I must say so again.

SAHM - actually, most if not all supermarkets in Jakarta sell pork. Just more expensive compared to the wet markets.

G - actually ... Maybe I might be your neighbor!!

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker