Sunday, February 06, 2011

I AM Stressed but I shouldn't be.....

As H puts it "I don't know why you are stressed and thinking so far ahead!".

I can't help it. I try not to think too much but little details and things keep popping into my head. I'm sure you've heard me mention in bits and pieces in previous posts that it's time to move out. Most companies ship out expats after 3 or 4 years. And we are overdue.....

Well, my H has officially taken on a new position since the beginning of this month - a global one. His boss offered him to be based in Moscow, Warsaw or Helsinki. Moscow was immediately thrown out of the door (we were in Moscow last Summer and we absolutely do NOT want to live in Moscow) and then Warsaw was in the picture. I was apprehensive about the idea... living in Europe???? I mean I did live in England for almost 6 years but that's a country where I have relatives and ENGLISH is THE language. Moving to Warsaw would mean that I would need to learn Polish, get used to the weather, drive on the wrong-side of the road etc etc. It is a challenge ... but I was kinda warming up to the idea.

But meanwhile, my H who was trying to SWAY his boss from sending him to Europe ...kept asking him "Why Warsaw?". His intention was to get posted to somewhere in ASIA. Well, the plan BACKFIRED big time. Now. Warsaw is out. Worse. The 'ideal' place in the bosses' eyes now is Helsinki. ALAMAK! PENGSAN!!!

Yes. I was disappointed. When H told me the news, he had to add "it's -21 deg C in Helsinki today". YIKES!
Helsinki is located so much further north. So much colder. So much lesser sun.
And yes. I would still have to learn a totally different language. Still have to drive on the wrong side of the road.
And worse... Finland is a developed nation - meaning I would not be able to find someone to help me do the occasional ironing. At least in Warsaw, I am sure I can find a Polish woman to come in and do the occasional cleaning and ironing if need be. I've done some research on Warsaw... quite a number of Asian grocery stores, 10 Tescos, 2 Ikeas, shops that I am familiar with... Houses for rent are also quite reasonable and nice-looking. Also found chinese tuition and music tuition centers for the boys. As it is somewhat still developing, there are relatively more expats, i.e more choices in international schools - schools have more pupils meaning pool of potential friends is bigger.

As for Helsinki, their public school system is exceptionally good. So good that many countries actually send educators to Finland to study their successful system. And thus, only one international school in Helsinki with a small pupil population.... less friends for my boys, and definitely less friends for me. Been trying to have an idea of housing there...but everyone seems to be in apartments. SMALL apartments like 50 sq m. Aiyo. How to move to a 50 sq m when we are in 40 sq m. house now? I mean I do not expect similar large size...but must be at least 1800 sq ft with 3 bedrooms. Did find some decent-sized houses online but they were located outside of the city center. About 25 minutes drive to the International School...so not too bad. Journey to boys' current school from our house takes an average of 40 minutes anyway.

Whenever I voice something to H about Helsinki, he would say that he doesn't understand why I am thinking so far ahead.... as he is still trying to change things. Well, I guess things CAN change very quickly... he might be able to convince his boss or he might find a different career option??
Two weeks ago, we were still talking about flying to Warsaw for a look-see and now... my flight goes straight to Helsinki.... So who knows? In two weeks, there might be changes again....

Don't wanna think till things are concrete....but really hard not to.

12 comments:

mun said...

How exciting to get a chance to be based in Finland! Imagine you will be able to see the Finland Northern Lights that is so so very beautiful which can be seen in Helsinki from time to time.

mott said...

I can understand your frustrations. As a mom, a disruption like this takes a lot of time to plan. H isn't very understanding, as you need to settle your family in asap, and that takes TIME beforehand to prepare.

Whereever you go... just remember, if you have no help, the smaller the place the better..and plus, the boys will definitely be more self-reliant AND, if they will see such reliance in their peers, the faster they will learn.

Very excites la..and headache at the same time.. :D

Bryan and Brandon's Mama said...

Actually hor, if I were in your shoes, I would be excited lor. At least you're moving as a family. :)

LittleLamb said...

Perhaps at this time, is just to say to pray. and I hope God answers your prayer request. Hope the 2 weeks will pass fast enough...*actually quite fast la knowing how CNY just zoom by* and hubs will know where is his latest posting.

NomadicMom said...

Mun - I supposed it is exciting in a way. Eh... one time magical out of 100 nights of miserable no-sun days is not gonna really help ler.

Mott - Tell me about it... but I try not to nag him too much. I'm sure he has enough on his plate.
As for the house... I know with no help, a smaller place would be better.. but boys are kinda big now and DO need their own rooms. otherwise, I will be spending most hours screaming at them if they share a room.

Bryan and Brandon's Mama - When kids are younger, it is not so much a headache...but mine are quite big liow. Change of schools can be a headache.

Little Lamb - The two weeks is just arbitary lah. I know we will have to move... if H stays with the same company.

Kit said...

Happy Chinese New Year! I've been reading of a lot of changes among the moms online (hehe, including myself) but yours is a pretty major one.

You have my respect and also sympathies since everyone seems to have settled down well. Have you spoke to the boys about it? How do they take it?

I know a family whose teen boys had to move back home too after 4 years. The boys took it pretty hard esp as they had to say goodbye to their friends (and girlfriend).

Think there were some glitches back home but I think they have moved on already since it's more than a year.

I think as long as the Mom is OK, everyone should be OK. I'm pretty spoiled now as a helper helps with fish cleaning, prawn peeling and all sorts of icky stuff.

WHEN we move back home, Hubby said he'll do them for me hahaha! Or I'll find a nice old man/woman who will clean the fish well or I'll buy pre-peeled prawns.

Can I visit you if you get Warsaw??? Don't think I can stand Helsinki's cold ;-)

Kambatte! Jia you! You can do it!

NomadicMom said...

KittyCat - Warsaw is totally out now ler. Besides, if H decides to stick with the co, Helsinki is where all the big boys are, and thus a better move...despite the cold, no sun etc etc...

Boys knew we weren't gonna be here long anyway... Just a matter of where we gonna move to. They are aware but doesn't mean they like it. Especially older one. Younger one is ready to go...as a lot of his friends are moving out too.

What's with the big change? I know you moved back to Malaysia and then back to china some time ago. So big change is this or baby No.3??????

mail_doneinfra@yahoo.com said...

yeeee....i'll be mad worry íf i'm in yr shoes coz i adapt to changes very badly so i dunno how u can do it!! what really disturb more is the kids lor...pity them having to face all these changes, major some more :(

but when it happens, it will...so just pray for the moment, good luck yah!

good for us is to learn from yr global-cultural life experiences which we might never know the whole life...haha (i didn't know finland is so developed lor, haha)

jacss said...

ehh, why the name like that....
it's me jacss :D

NomadicMom said...

Jacss - I was wondering who was that! Hahaha...
Changes is scary but it's the waiting in limbo when it's neither here nor there is the worst!
Boys ...especially S1 will have an upside if we move. No need to do IGCSE as the school in Helsinki is full IB!

mom2ashleyaidan said...

the move actually sounds exciting though :) but yea, like Paik Ling said, i guess it's good that at least you all will be together.

NomadicMom said...

Mom2ashleyaidan - think that's the most important thing lor.

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker