Wednesday, January 28, 2009

CNY Reunion Dinner...

H came back on the morning of CNY eve.... with ample time till dinner. After he unloaded some of the goodies that he got for me (will post later), we went to pick S2 from his sleepover. Stayed on for a cup of coffee...and then headed to the mall for lunch and haircuts for ALL the boys. After we got home, still managed to catch up on a few episodes of Prison Break. :-)

I didn't veer-off from my planned menu....other than deciding not to make the Steamed Pomfret and the Crab & Sweetcorn Soup

Decided to at least use a RED tablecloth to dress-up our drab table for our REUNION DINNER

All the foods laid out...

Salmon for the "Yee Sang"

Dressed "Yee Sang" ready for "Lo Hei"
(Used the pack that I bought from KL, then added radish, carrots, pear and some cucumber. Forgot about the pomelo though...

Lemon Chicken 

Fried Spring Rolls

"Saang Choy Pau"
(made with minced pork, mushrooms, crabmeat, "bok nee" and onions)

 "Siew Yoke"
(Made this so many times with perfect result...but somehow this batch did not come out well. The skin just would not bubble up! H says it's because the skin was very thin....but yummy nevertheless)

Fried Baby Lobster with Ginger & Spring Onion

Had bought canned longans and lychees for dessert.....but we were all so stuffed that we just couldn't stomach them till later in the night. :-)




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

How to make that siew yok and lobster? Recipe!!! Please.... LOL!

bp said...

Yum, yum, yum! So sumptuous! I would still have space in my tummy for the longan and lychee... my fave since a little girl, hehe!!!

laundryamah said...

waaaaaaaaa....just u guys only but so much food geh.....terrrrrrerrrrr la u...ya la teach us how to make that siu yoke la..

NomadicMom said...

Shopping Mum - Siew Yoke recipe from http://neckredrecipes.blogspot.com/2008/04/siew-yoke-with-puffy-crackling-chinese.html
and
http://neckredrecipes.blogspot.com/2006/02/siew-yoke-chinese-roast-pork.html

The important thing is to have the skin REALLY DRY!!
And you should put overnight in the fridge UNCOVERED. I think my this batch NO good because I accidentally COVERED it, and it didn't dry properly.

As for Lobster, I used chinese wine, soya sauce and oyster sauce as the marinade. Just stir-fry the spring onion heads and ginger slices first, then add the marinated lobster. Stir-fry till change colour, then add the spring onion greens just before serving.

NomadicMom said...

bp - Must be sumptuous lah. Not often I cook ma... So Reunion Dinner must put in some effort maa...
:-)

NomadicMom said...

Laundryamah - Did have some leftovers... Hehehehe
For the Siew Yoke recipe, see my comments to ShoppingMum

Health Freak Mommy said...

Wuah, I'm impressed you made the siew yoke! It looks good to me.

NomadicMom said...

Health Freak Mommy - Next time when i make a better version, then I "invite" you over to "makan"...albeit over the internet...hehehe

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker