Tuesday, January 06, 2009

No More Maid...

In my previous post, I said that my maid left this morning....

If I were to post this earlier, I probably would be ranting and complaining...but I got a call this evening from her husband. Their son had passed away. I'm not too sure of the details, but I guessed he contracted what she had. (Go here for more details) Her husband asked her to be discharged from the hospital when she was still rather ill, and I guessed while she was recuperating at home, she must have passed it on to her son.  And as he is only 4 (or maybe 5 years old), his immune system probably is still rather immature. 

Anyway, my maid left this morning at about 8.30 am; then I received a call from her husband at about 3 pm, informing me that his son is in critical condition and that my maid will not be coming back to work. Then just now at about 5 pm, he called to inform that his son had passed away. And that he would be coming over later to hand over keys and pack his wife's things. 

At first, both H and I were quite skeptical and annoyed. H especially so. We were adamant of not giving her any money when she comes for her things (we paid her a full month's pay for December eventhough she only worked about 12 days).....and then now, after hearing about her loss, we want to give her some. H is rather extreme though....he said to give her approx. USD 500! Gila lah him (if I must say so). I thought USD 50 is more appropriate (actually, when I mentioned USD 30, H actually scolded me!!!!). Don't you think?? 

Now this H is like saying give her a day or two to mourn, then ask her if she still wants to work for us. And if she does, how long she needs to mourn before she can resume work. 
I donno...
Even if she comes back after 2 weeks, she'll still be mourning for her son. 
Which means she will have that SAD look on her face.
I don't know if I want to face sorrow and sadness everyday lor....eventhough I know training a new maid SUCKS to the MAX.

My friend has already referred me to an "agent". Well, not really a real agent but does have friends who want to work in the big city. Already made contact. She said she has someone who will work for a minimum of USD 60/month. But I told her that I'll need someone who is willing to cut/cook pork, clean the whole house, learn how to cook, do everything alone (as it is very common to have 2 to 3 maids in a single household...that's why most maids are paid around USD 45 per month); and that I'll give a starting salary of USD 80/- and will review the salary after the 3-months probation.

So...will see how this goes....

H was quite concerned that I might have gone GILA without the maid. Aiyaa....only one day without maid. Besides, before I went back to PJ, it was one whole week without the maid. And during Lebaran holidays, it was about 8 days without maid. 
Actually, think the boys are more concerned that we are without a maid....as they would have to be extra HELPFUL and DILIGENT to put their things away. :-)

Okay lah.... Got to go fry-up some homemade burger patties for the boys now..

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aiyo..your poor maid. So quickly he passed away. What did she really contract?

So..how was the makan session? good? I sure miss the kai-si hor fun at seapark.

sigh...

LHS said...

was the death true? i have been telling those maids always like to give such an excuse when they wanted to stop working.

maid quite cheap there..

laundryamah said...

eh dengue fever can pass to another person one meh? sure or not??

slavemom said...

Not that we want to be skeptical but sometimes it's hard to believe them coz lying is like a norm for them. But I doubt she'll use her son's death as an excuse. H is vy generous (well, most men are).
Hope u'll find a good replacement.

Bryan and Brandon's Mama said...

Good luck maidless - keep us updated! Are you getting a temp in the meantime?
Quite sad to hear about the maid's son passing :(

Anonymous said...

dengue is not contagious la

mksy

NomadicMom said...

Mott - I also donno what she had. Cause think she had some other thing after her dengue fever as she had diahroea as well as vomitting. (so I heard)
Makan-makan was okay ler...some foods not as good liow.

Huisia - It should be true lah. The way things develop...I don't think she concoct the story.

Laundryamah - Dengue fever itself cannot pass to another person. But if a "clean" mosquito bites the infected person, and then bites a "clean" person, then sure can transmitted.
Also, think she also had something else later...

Slavemom - Apparently alot of people looking for maids now...so maybe abit difficult to find.
*sigh*

Bryan and Brandon's Mama - Probably won't get a temp. Just eat simple foods and tolerate some uncleanliness lor...

MKSY - Not contagious but if "clean" mosquito bite infected person, then bite a healthy person, the healthy person also get infected what.

Anonymous said...

shd be true la, tak kan call u and say bad things about their son meh hor.. kesian oso la and she will mourn for her son if she really loves her son. so she will definitely show u her SAD face when she comes back to work for u and probably wont do her job well. mana tau suddenly cut her finger off and u hv to pay for her medical fees, etc..
if i were u, i wld get another maid too. unlike over here where u have paid so much for agent fees and advanced salary that its not easy to get rid of maid.

NomadicMom said...

Wen - I also understand her NO MOOD to work. Previously, she work so that the son at least can have a better life.
I still have not heard from her...all her stuff still in my house leh.

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker