Sunday, January 11, 2009

New Maid is Here

The "agent" (not really an agent) mentioned in my previous post did bring over a maid this evening at about 5 pm. I thought if it turns out to a NO-SHOW, I would have to go to the Community Center tomorrow to get one...which I kinda dread as their list of maids available generally worked for ang-moh expats. And you know lah...work for ang-moh, where can work for us??? They are soooooo spoilt. My friend's maid live-out, work from 8 till 5 pm. So she ends up cooking dinner and cleaning-up. Now she is saying that she wants to have a live-in, but don't want to UPSET anybody... And yes. She is ang-moh. And these ang-moh maids  get paid waaaaaay much more than the "normal" maids. This other ang-moh friend also spoils her maid...pays her USD 150/-, lets her husband stays in her house..maid doesn't cook. Only clean the house and her laundry, i.e. laundry for ONE person. Don't work weekends summore. So lah..you say spoilt or not?? Definitely CANNOT employ one of these lah... 
I won't call myself a slave driver...but really cannot tolerate the ang-moh maids.
Errr... I don't mean maids that are ang-mohs...but maids that work for ang-mohs...

Back to my maid.....As the norm, the maid came with all her stuff....ready to start STRAIGHT AWAY. The "agent" did tell her the key items prior to our meeting, i.e. her pay, off-days, jack-of-all-trades duty, her being the only maid, the requirement to cook and cut pork etc. Her experience? Apparently worked for a local/HK Chinese family...that had 12 employees working under the roof!!!!  Then, for a Malaysian family up till Xmas... So will see....

Didn't ask her to do any task this evening, except that she tidy up her own room and stuff. Will start training her tomorrow morning. She looks okay (as if looks are any indications??!?!?!!!!! :-P )...... So far, she's certainly does look better than the one that came for interview on Friday afternoon. 

This other one ah....Call me discriminative, but the headgear kinda put me off already. I had a stool in the kitchen, and she just sat on it without being invited to. She didn't want to tell me her last paid salary, and wanted to have more than USD 100/month...which I wasn't willing to give as a starting salary. With the headgear, off course I asked if she was willing to cut/cook pork, and she said NO. So no need to discuss further lah...but she still was rather persistent to ask how much I was willing to pay her if NOT USD 100. 

Anyway,...hopefully this one works out. Re - cooking pork? She said she can cook but I'll have to do the taste-testing. Alamak! Of course, I don't expect her to taste lah.... The "agent" was still there, and was like encouraging her to just estimate on the flavorings...NO NEED to taste lah.... Aiya! With her so new, I definitely will not leave her to do the cooking just yet!

Wish me luck...


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really really want to wish you good luck on your new maid. May she free you from all the washing, cleaning and chores. LOL!

NomadicMom said...

shoppingmum - Thanks. Hope she'll stay. So far, she seems to know what she is doing...thus, really freeing me from the chores...till I felt abit "disorientated" as to what i can do!!!

Anonymous said...

hope u will hv a good maid. not easy to get a good one. headache!

LHS said...

wish you good luck! really depend luck to get a good maid.

Leena said...

You sure need a lot of good luck to get a good maid nowadays. Sometimes, they are just too daring and demanding..
good luck!

NomadicMom said...

Wen - Yes. I know. So far, this one is doing okay. No real complaints yet. But then, today is only Day 2.

huisia - Yeah. I agree that it depends on luck.

Shern's mom - My friend was telling me about this maid that went to her house for interview... The maid was really demanding, and even commented that her house is NOT as nice as those that she was used to!!!

Anonymous said...

Haha..I'm just like you, kitchen cloth is diff from cleaning cloth.

Knives and cutting boards too. But, my hubs just can't get it. He thinks they are all for the same purpose.

Hmmmph!

NomadicMom said...

Mott - Aiya...men sure don't care one lah...
As for cutting boards, me too...for raw foods different from cooked foods or salads...
Very particular about things being covered before they go into the fridge too...

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about maids who've worked for ang moh - hard to hire them because the ang moh really pay and treat them so well.

Hello...we are not earning in USD, how to match, right?

All the best!

NomadicMom said...

Kittycat - Errr..actually, H is earning USD; but we are so used to our ASIAN ways of using maids, that those that work for ang-mohs cannot TAHAN our styles or ways.

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker