Sunday, March 08, 2009

Coughing My Lungs Out!!

Haven't been well.... 
In fact, things seemed to have gone downhill since my headache after S2's birthday party. I developed a cough the next day....which got worse and worse. Decided to go and see a doctor on Friday to have my cough checked out. And since I'm already at the clinic, decided to have a Pap Smear as well (kill two birds with one stone!!!). Doctor prescribed some antibiotics and another med for my cough. So far, no improvement yet. 

I guessed I must have got it from S2. He has had this persistent cough for awhile.... sort of since November 2008 actually. Didn't really understand why the cough was so persistent...thought it was allergy-related. But at his birthday party, had a chat with the parents of T & L. Turns out that both boys (brothers) and their dad were diagnosed with mycoplasma pneumonia. Apparently, boys' symptoms were mild compared to their dad. He was in Singapore for work then, and when he went to see the doc, doc actually told him that he needed to be admitted to the hospital. In Singapore, the test for mycoplasma pneumonia takes only a day. 
Here?
It takes 3 weeks!!!  
You say lah.... Third World Country or not???
Anyway, the symptoms described by T&L's mom sounded pretty similar to what S2 is experiencing. Took him into the clinic on Monday (2nd March) again to have another check by the doctor and also a blood test for mycoplasma pneumonia. Yeah. Results will NOT be out till another 2 weeks but since his chest was still not clear, the doctor prescribed antibiotics for his infection... one that is good for "normal" bacterial and the mycoplasma pneumoniae. Not all antibiotics is effective against mycoplasma pneumoniae, as it doesn't have a cell wall like "normal" bacteria. (The antibiotics prescribed to me will also be effective against this bug. Yeah. I do usually read the insert that comes with medication.)
His cough is improving but not totally gone...will see how in a couple more days.

In a different note, I am still taking S2 for his allergy treatment at the Bio-Resonance clinic, despite H's objections. He said it is a bunch of baloney....giving me an earful last week. As in we were shouting at each other!!! 
I still think it is worth a try as conventional medicine doesn't really have a treatment for allergies. They will just say ABSTAIN from those foods. 
For yesterday's treatment session, H didn't complain nor give me a earful. He seemed quite happy to drop both S2 and I off at the clinic while he and S1 went jalan-jalan.
The therapist did another test....and apparently, S2 is NO longer allergic to eggs and chicken, which is good news. But he still has a long list of allergens that needs to be treated.
Hopefully, in due time...we can put this long list behind us. 

8 comments:

Bee Bee said...

Hi, please po chong (take care) I a ur blog new fan, I found tat your blog is very funny and ur life are very interesting!

Anonymous said...

aiyo... poor woman! So serious ah this coughing...luckily u got this info from this other moM! Or else, S2 and you wud be still coughing like mad!

Wow..this Bio-resonance seems to be working ah..... hmmm

Oh ya la...this Melbourne..apparently it's under some fault line. sei mm sei mou? sigh...

Health Freak Mommy said...

I have also been coughing my lungs out lately. My mil asked me to chew on fresh olives and olives boiled with lean pork. You may want to give that a try. It's a 'heong har' (China) remedy for cough.

Anonymous said...

hope all is well. take good care

Irene said...

take care, hope u guys get well soonest!

Anonymous said...

eh so when can i come visit?? anymore holidays that u r going away??

mommy of 3 angels said...

so s2 outgrowing his allergies? hope so...that means i have hope elli will outgrow too.

u get well soon.

NomadicMom said...

Bee - Hi. Wow!!!... I have a fan!!! Hehehehe...

Mott - Ya. Hopefully, the medication will work this time round.
As for Bio-Resonance...I do hope that the treatment is working...

HealthFreakMommy - Where to find fresh olives? I can only get those in jars here leh...

Wen - Thanks. Hope my cough would be better soon. Really NO fun feeling like crap.

Irene - Thanks!

Laundryamah - You coming alone or with children? If alone, best when boys are still in school...then we can go jalan-jalan. If you are coming with your kids, then best when my boys are having a holiday too. But then, I'm planning to go somewhere with boys during Easter for one week. Easter Break is 4th April till 19th April.

Mommy3Angels - No lah... S2 has been going for the Bio-Resonance treatment everyweek...

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker