Monday, March 14, 2011

Helsinki's Old Market Hall

Many of Helsinki's markets are Indoors as outside temperatures can be waaaaaaay below freezing. The first week I was in Helsinki, the temperatures were -20 deg Celsius to about -10 deg Celsius. This is certainly not very pleasant. Read about my BRAIN FREEZE episodes here.

As I have a penchant of visiting markets in foreign cities, I headed out to Kauppatori - an open market square. But it was waaaaaaaay too cold and I think there were only 2 or 3 stalls in the market square. But you can't really tell that they were stalls as it was hidden beneath covered tents. When I peeked into one of them, it was a stall selling fresh fish. I am told in warmer weather, especially summer, the whole place will be hustling and bustling with flower stalls etc etc.

I guessed in this below-freezing weather, enclosed indoor market makes sense!

The following photos are taken at the Old Market Hall near to the Kauppatori.


Corridor along the Old Market Hall,

Cheese Stall


Pork Stall


Vege Stall


Fruit Stall


Handmade Chocolates

Reindeer, Bear, Elk Meat etc






























Handmade Chocolates

Smoked Fish of All Sorts


Fresh Fish... lots of Salmon
Salmon is the cheapest fish...

Cooked Shrimps and More Fish

Lobster, Shrimps and Snow Crabs
Whole Range of Olives

2 comments:

Bryan and Brandon's Mama said...

I love this post the best!!!! I oh-so-love visiting markets and even supermarkets when I'm away. See what I can buy home! Did you buy anything?

NomadicMom said...

Bryan and Brandon's Mama - Only chocolates....

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker