Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Random Photos of Helsinki...

Considering that I stayed in Helsinki for a total of 8 nights (19 Feb - 25 Feb and 2 Mar - 4 Mar), I didn't take as many photos compared to the 2 nights in Salzburg or the 3 nights in Munich. That is primarily because it was FREAKING COLD.... like waaaaaaay below freezing (-18 deg C!!) whereas the temperature at Salzburg and Munich was warmer at about 3-5 deg C. And to fiddle with my DSLR, I had to remove my gloves and that is certainly NO fun. Thus the lesser number of photos...
Anyway, the photos in this post are not in any geographical order.

We stayed at the Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel on Mikonkatu, right in the center of the city. Very convenient for me to wander around the city on my own.

A snowy view of the Park beside Radisson Blu Plaza

Naked Lady Statue...wonder if she is freezing???

Wood Carving in the Park... Sweet!


Frozen Baltic Sea - seen from Kauppatori
If cold enough, ice roads are open to the islands
During warmer months, Flower stalls surround this fountain
(this is near Kauppatori)

Statue of Alexandra ?? of Russia at Senate Square

Government Palace
(I think)

Helsinki Cathedral

Big Square in front of the Central Railway Station

Ateneum Art Museum

Some Music Theater near the Hotel

Check out this 'STUCK' Boat
Taken near the Kauppatori
Me and my BIG handbag
Frozen Tortoise??

Uspenski Cathedral
Statue in the Park at The Explanadi

Where is the Park Bench?
There it is!!!
Hard at Work to remove the Tonnes of Snow!


Restaurant in the Park by the Esplanadi
(cannot remember the name)
Inside the Restaurant....
Walkway by the Park, Esplanadi
Statues at the Esplanadi Park... They look like they are touching..

But actually, they are not...

That's it. So few, yeah? Plus I forgot to load the battery into my DSLR when I went to Tallinn, Estonia. So no photos from there. Bleah...

7 comments:

stay-at-home mum said...

Love these historic places, but for me it would have to be in summer coz I HATE the cold. Dont know how you can tahan!

jacss said...

what an eye opener experience.... good enough for the album lah :D
so what happened to the tortoise ahh??

MeRy said...

Very nice pictures.....Oh...freezing..

mun said...

Thanks! Lovely photos - the places are all white - like covered with white icing sugar but no way will I go and enjoy it there because I am very scared of being cold.

NomadicMom said...

SAHM - Actually, the body is okay.. it's the face so best is use a ski mask! Hahahah

jacss - think i only have 2 pictures of me in Helsinki. Hahahah
Tortoise is a statue lah!

MeRy - BELOW freezing!

Mun - But if you wanna see the Northern Lights, it will have to be winter though.

Health Freak Mommy said...

Lovely pix. I doubt I will ever have the chance to visit Helsinki. Lucky you!

Rose world said...

All covered in snow and white!!

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker