Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Difficult Question...

S1 came home yesterday (Tuesday, 13th) , and presented me with these four books from the School Book Sale.
Where did he get the money to buy these books? Which costs about USD 20 ? I didn't give him any money for the Book Sale.....as I was in school on Monday, and already purchased USD 70 worth of books from the Book Sale.

So ??????

He said that he found the money on the ground. Yes. USD 20 on the school grounds... and so he used the money to purchased the books.

Of course I queried... It sounded too good to be true, right? Went through the whole series of "Did you take the money from some one? I won't scold you. Please tell the truth. Blah blah blah".

He swore. Said he really really found it on the ground. Then he asked me what I would have done if I found money on the ground.

Well, if it was me, I definitely will *FAST* *FAST* put it in my pocket lah. 'Choong sai mann ah kwai meh??'.....but of course didn't answer my son like that lah.

I said ... "Mmmm...that is quite a difficult question. If I keep the money, the owner would have lost quite a lot of money, and definitely would be sad. But if I give the money to the office, the clerk may just take it. And also will not know who lost the money. You can't exactly announce "WHO LOST US 20? as everyone will be coming to claim it. So how? It's not like a tupperware or bag where there would be some kind of distinct identification. Mmmm...very difficult indeed".

S1 then said "See? You also said Difficult. So, I keep and use it to buy books lah".

HOW WOULD YOU HAVE ANSWERED YOUR KID???

p/s Actually arr... my two boys always find money or food vouchers on the school ground one. But normally not much lah.. like about US 50 cents...enough to buy a Capri-Sonne or Powerade sort of drinks. The vouchers I know they really find on the ground, as many RICH kids buy the USD 2.50 voucher booklet, use USD 2 and then feel the 50 cents in the booklet is too troublesome to keep and they just discard it.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm difficult one indeed...on one hand, yeah feel sorry for the person who lost it...on the other hand..that will teach that person who lost the money to be more careful with his money! sigh,,,grey,,,grey...

Anonymous said...

hehehe .. usually I will tell Misha NOT to take it .. as I believe that if you take it .. then you have to "return"/lost yours .. anyway .. usually we will pick it up and give to someone .. tell them we found it .. OR just buat bodoh .. we will never take it :)

Anonymous said...

today i found a TIFFANY & Co. bracelet on the road.

v

bp said...

It's a good thing that S1 used the money to buy books, and not candy. Is there like a Lost and Found area in the school, that may make it easier for things picked up to be brought there? Or another way is to give it away to some charity, to share that accidental 'wealth'.

Anonymous said...

waaaa... V - what did you do with it?


-g

Anonymous said...

Best is to return the money to the admin or lost n found.

USD20 is a lot leh. I wud tell him, the person who lost it...would have cursed you to lao-sai everyday. So..what for keep!

WAKAKAKAAKAKAKAKAKAKAAK!!!!

WMD: Wife, Mother, Daughter said...

I will tell him the same thing as mott. I never quite believe in "Finders keepers".

NomadicMom said...

Ladies - Hehehee... my morals must be waaaaay below from you all. Depending on what is the scenario, it's Finders Keepers lor.. Once I found STG 5/- when I went to Barclays near my college. Of course, I KEEP lah..

Yes. There is a Lost & Found "Box" where items are dumped there for the kids to go "claim" their stuff. As it is money, putting money in there, definitely is a NO-NO.

NomadicMom said...

V - So? Did you pick the Tiffany Bracelet up? What did you do with it?

bp said...

Nomadic Mom,
Hey, don't say like that leh. Remember not too long ago, I also asked a difficult Q when my big boy agreed to be paid $1 to give his friend a Math answer?

I guess it's always easier for us when we aren't in the situation itself, or when we look back and on hindsight, to suggest what could be done the next time something like that takes place.

But our kids also have their own points of view, which as moms, we sometimes can't see becoz we'd hoped they had done it "our way" in the first place. If my kid came home with the books, like S1 did, I'd have been glad that he had not squandered it on something frivolous.

NomadicMom said...

BP - Do it "our way"...I think this is what makes us moms upset most times?? :-)

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker