Monday, April 14, 2008

Dentist...Dentist...

I've finally taken S1 to the orthodontist on Saturday. His front tooth has protruded so badly over the last two months that he cannot really close his lips. Yes. That bad. It was a first consultation with the orthodontist, and thus had to have photographs taken of his teeth, panoramic XRay, normal XRay, 2 x impressions of his teeth, and his last baby tooth extracted. Was in the clinic for over an hour. The bill for this first consulation came up to be about USD 190/-. Luckily the insurance pays for orthodontic procedures for children up to 18 years old. Otherwise, PENGSAN!!

Donno why this country's dental procedures are so mega-expensive. Donno what I ate the other day, but got my front tooth stained with BLUE dye. Of course had to go to the dentist to have it cleaned, right? I thought just brush brush can already. But my enamel was scraped off, and I needed a composite filling. I was only told that it costs USD 120/- after all the scrapping. Waliow...brother! My enamel already scraped off and my tooth exposed liow, of course have to do the filling, right? Cannot exactly say donwan to do, right?? Geez... I tell you ah. In Malaysia, my composite filling only costs RM 120 lah... or was it less? Again, lucky company insurance pay. Otherwise, I sure "kau-peh-kau-boo"!!!

5 comments:

stay-at-home mum said...

Guess, over there you pay expat prices! And since its an insurance claim, they probably charge more!

bp said...

Dentist fees no joke, even back home, I paid a bomb for my root canal treatments and crowns.. I know how astronimical it can be!

Good thing your insurance can cover the costs!

Eh, blue dye? Some candy maybe, or icecream? Did you take a pic of yourself? ;p

NomadicMom said...

SAHM - I supposed so ler. But according to my friend, unless you go to the really LOCAL LOCAL one, dental procedures all cost sky high in this country. But I don't dare to go to the LOCAL LOCAL one. Donno whether they sterilize equipment or not. At least, here in this international establishment, they have a certain level of standards lah.

bp - Singapore everything also expensive? My root canal work back in KL only costs me about RM 600 leh. This was for a small tooth lah. Crown is alittle more expensive cause they used GOLD...have to follow gold price lor. Insurance only covers those necessary work, but not cosmetic type.
The blue dye? I really have NO idea what I ate. I don't normally eat any COLOURED sweets or ice-cream (yuck!)...but perhaps it was from one of the Jelly beans ?? AIyo...of course I didn't take picture lah.

bp said...

Hahaha! Just thot a blue tooth is quite funny!

Blue jellybeans... is it the minty flavour kind? I used to eat them last time as a teenager, but haven't seen them around since!

NomadicMom said...

bp - Not whole tooth lah. Just the edges... can't remember what flavour was the jelly beans. Or was it the jelly bears? I also beh-kee liow...

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker