Friday, April 18, 2008

ITALIAN dinner @ Home

Yes. As per my previous post, tonight's dinner was ITALIAN.
Menu is as follows...
  • Salad
  • Clams with Cream and Wine
  • Slow-cooked Lamb Shank
  • Foccacia with Rosemary
  • Tiramisu
Okay... I cheated. I didn't make the salad from scratch. Errr...actually, I didn't make it at all. I bought those ready-packed ones from the supermarket.

I did make the foccacia from scratch though...Yup. From flour, water, salt and yeast...and I kneaded and pounded the dough. It did rise very well.....topped it with olive oil and fresh rosemary from my garden. Unfortunately, I left it in the oven too long...so the top and bottom crust got too hard. Inside was okay lah..

Clams were quite good. Cooked with garlic, onions, cream, wine, some paprika and dried herbs. The boys (big and small) liked the sauce...which they used the foccacia to mop it up.

As for the lamb shank, it was slowly cooked in the oven at 170 deg C for about 4 1/2 hours....until the meat falls off the bone. I didn't bother to transfer the lamb shank onto a nice plate nor separate out the sauce. I just served it from the oven-dish. This stupid H said "your mother ar.....food always good but the presentation? No good. No good." And S1 added "yeah...your presentation needs some work".
I wanna WHACK their heads!!!

As for the Tiramisu... think not really a success. Haven't eaten it yet. Think not enough mascarpone. I only bought a tub...but the recipe calls for 2....so a bit thau koong kamm liu on the mascarpone. You know how I always complain about imported stuff here being soooo expensive? Well...I was surprised to see that a pack of Italian sponge fingers cost only USD 1.65.
This is much cheaper than Malaysia, right??? >>>UPDATE: H says it's good. Again...presentation is not there! I have to admit...I didn't use the sieve to sprinkle the cocoa powder. I used my fingers...so it was a bit patchy. :-)

Sorry...lah. No photos... As the boys say...BAD PRESENTATION...so better not show photos lah...

9 comments:

sting said...

sounds delicious :-) should put some pictures lah.. so we can enjoy a bit too! sometimes I don't care about presentations either... coz go in the tummy anyway! :-)

bp said...

Wow, your Italian dinner must be very yummy, wish I can have some too! What a labour of love, and you know it's really appreciated when everything is "mopped" up with a big grin! =)

Guys lah, they always have so much to say, I'm sure everthing looks as great as it tastes!

My Rantings said...

Hahaha! Never mind what they say, the truth is when they mop up the food! :)

Bkworm said...

aiyoh, and I was looking forward to seeing some pictures. Sounds yummy especially at the thought of the lamb shank meat falling off the bone. * salivating*

NomadicMom said...

Sting - Paiseh lah...Presentation really needs some work. After put you off lamb shank forever!!

bp - Actually, cooking took only awhile. It's the running from one supermarket to another, and then out to get the wine that takes up most of the "labour".

Dancing Queen - But my H always says my food is good. Just the presentation abit "charr"....or should I say very "charr"!!!

bkworm - Paiseh lah...the looks of the food really not nice like in restaurant. No garnishes whatsoever. I didn't even bother to change out from the oven-dish...so the sides all black-black one. Heeehee...

Leena said...

i was expecting some photos too. presentation not nice never mind la, home cook food ma, as long as it taste nice, ok la..

A Mature Student said...

Aiyah, read and read hoping to see photos at the end but.... :(

Show please photos! I am sure they are nice.

stay-at-home mum said...

They say TQ for lovely meal or not? If not, go ahead and whack their heads. After all that work cooking for them such a nice meal, still complain. Tell them no guests thats why no presentation!!
I am also very bad at presentation. Most impt taste nice. Thats why no photos of food on my blog too!

NomadicMom said...

Shern's Mom - Ok. Next time I post pic...even if it looks scary. Hahahha

Clockwise - Cannot post THAT dinner liow.. IN and OUT liow. hahahha... Will post pix of next time.

SAHM - My S1 did say thank you. He's into thanking me for meals these few weeks. ;-)

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker