Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Charity Bazaar & Trade Expo

AWA Charity Bazaar
If you recall... I duh-duh went to this supposed AWA Charity Bazaar on the 2nd of October which was NOT to be. The Bazaar was actually on the 23rd, which I did go. So, this is quite outdated...

Well, have to pay about USD 9/- to get into this AWA Bazaar. When I first arrived in the country, and found out that I had to pay entrance fee to buy things, I was a wee bit shocked. Can you imagine Jaya Jusco charging you an entrance fee to get into their store?? Okay....lah. This is for charity. Plus you do get 2 pastries and a cup of coffee, when you need a breather after shopping till dropping!

Here is what I got...

Lucky Pick Prize - A lizard-shaped Candle Holder
~ USD 3/- for 3 Tickets. I paid for a total of 9 tickets. Managed to win this candle-holder and 2 Packs of Cinnamon Rolls. When I kepoh-ed, found out that my prizes costs about USD 35/-. So not a bad deal for forking out USD 9/-. Plus, my friend picked out a "3-D Puzzle Toy". Her kid is all grown-up. So I got a BONUS...Heheeheh.. Was timely too, as it was my maid's son's birthday. I gave the pressie to her. No need to buy. Heeheee

A Wood and Marble Chess Set
I was pretty happy with this purchase. The wooden base has drawers that stores the chess pieces that has been "eaten". Sorry...don't know what is the correct term. The chess pieces and the chequered base are from marble. Why did I buy this? The kids are into Chess now... and H has been playing with them. Encouraging the kids to play as it gets them thinking about strategies and such. S2 just learned how to play, and H says that his moves are quite good as his pieces are generally well-protected. (Whatever that means?!?!?@)

Bird-Cage Table Lamp
Thought it looked kinda nice....


Trade Expo
Went to the Trade Expo last Saturday (27 Oct). S2 tagged along... Why? Because he wanted to skive from doing his Maths!!! Salah besar to let him tag along. On the way there, I think he asked "Are we there yet?" more than ten times. And you know lah.. the traffic here can be quite bad. Plus the Expo was on the other side of town. And then he was like whinging "why soooooo far???"...

Waaaa... they had a lot of NICE NICE furniture! The ones that you see in those Spa and Beach Resort magazines. The Amandari Banyan Tree type of furniture and bathroom accessories. I won't be surprised if furniture from Habitat or Pottery Barn comes from here. Just OEM them. Know what I mean? As it's a trade expo, ie. mainly for foreign importers, quite a lot of stuff were not for sale to the public. I actually saw this pair of carved wooden dancers (wall hanging ornament) for less than USD 10/- but they were not for sale. *sob* *sob* .. Unless you wanna buy 100 pairs of them!

Have to say S2 behaved quite well lah.. Did walk with me through the rows and rows of booths. As alot of the furiture looks similar (wood/rattan/water-hyacinth/etc), he kept on saying "Mom! We've gone through here already!!". I have a very systematic way of going through such expos... I weave in a zig-zag way. This way, I won't miss any rows.
There were all sorts of stuff on exhibit (and some for sale).. foods, drinks, plasticware, glassware, handicrafts, hospital equipment, industrial items, furniture etc etc... What I bought?? Not much also lah..
A pair of Traditional Puppets
Really can move the head and arms one.. but of course I am keeping boys awaaaaay!! Yes. They did mention that they want to perform with them. BUT NO WAY, JOSE!!
Paintings of the Balinese Barong
Initially, wanted to buy only one. But when he offered to sell the pair of them for USD 25/-, I had to grab them.
Framed Picture of Balinese Dancers
Only RM 40/-. Sure gasak also, right?

Well, this time...H said that my purchases were ALRIGHT. Not my usual "rubbish"!

:-P

8 comments:

stay-at-home mum said...

Wah! Good buys, leh!

Anonymous said...

wouldn't the puppets be quite scary at night??

mk

NomadicMom said...

SAHM - Thank You!

MK - Scary meh???

WMD: Wife, Mother, Daughter said...

I really like the chess set and the lamp.

I usually avoid buying puppets...guess too imaginative mind.

mommy of 3 angels said...

i love the "bird cage lookalike" lamp..wah when u move back here, you think 2 containers can masuk ah?? ahhaha i think u need more.

bp said...

Wow, sure looks like you shopped till you dropped! Hehe!

I like that chess set -- marble, woah! And also that birdcage lamp... so whimsical, and goes so well with the rest of your rustic decor.

NomadicMom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
NomadicMom said...

WMD - You like my sis think the puppets look scary?? They are now on top of the shelf...so, if you don't look up, also cannot really see lah.. One day lah... see if I "ciak pah siew eng" (eat full, too free), I will perform with the puppets lah. Hahhaha

MommyOf2Angels - Think when I move, definitely have to sell stuff lah. We are only allowed ONE container. Anything extra must fork out ourselves!!

bp - Not really till dropped lah. On 2 different days maaa.. The marble chess set was about US 44/-. Quite good buy, I thought.

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker