Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Chiang Kai Shek tio-ah-neh-lor

Chiang Kai Shek tio-ah-neh-lor... My dad used to say this whenever we have fairly good food on the dinner table. For the longest of time, I always thought it meant that Chiang Kai Shek ate simply. Only after I've read about Chiang Kai Shek and the Soong Sisters that I found out that they were very very extravagant! So, this phrase actually meant that we are eating as well as Chiang Kai Shek! (Bet you didn't know that, V!!)

For dinner last night, did have a Chiang Kai Shek tio-ah-neh-lor meal as I hardly cooked these days... and I cooked yesterday... Made a Claypot Braised Chicken with Yam (yam that I bought to make yam cake..yes! Did make the yam cake but there was too much yam still), Drunken Prawns, Dover Sole with Soya Sauce, Fried Beef with Brocolli and Oyster Sauce, Fried Poling Choy, and Salted Veg Soup. And for dessert, we had a yummy Thai durian. (No pictures lah... Sooo hungry. Never thought to take pictures!) I have to say that we have NEVER eaten any Thai durians when we were living in Thailand...always had the impression that Thai durians are NO good and that Malaysian ones better etc.. But Thai durians can be GOOD !!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

actually i always made the assumption that that term meant that it was good food leh.... then dunno who told me otherwise.

But i suppose that i still automatically think that meant it was good food ler..

v

NomadicMom said...

It means GOOD food lah...

LHS said...

actually is what language? hokkien ar?

Anonymous said...

isn't that what i said? Good food laaaaa

v

NomadicMom said...

Yup...it's Hokkien...but with a bit of a slang....:-)

Yes..Yes...means GOOD food!!

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker