Thursday, May 03, 2007

Kids are Expensive!

Ever since NOT having a job, and having to stretch my palm out to H for household allowances, I have been diligently entering my daily expenses into a MS Excel document. BOY! I have to say that nurturing a child is NOT cheap! I was just summarizing some costs.. Saturday Swimming Lessons per Term for 1 kid is USD 70. For 2 kids is USD 140 ..multiply by three terms..have paid USD 420 for swimming lessons. Then there's the Mandarin Classes.. USD 560 per term for two kids....multipy by three terms.. And then there's Mad Science activity which is USD 55 per kid per term. Sums up to quite a lot of money! This does not include the PS2 games, the gameboy games, the movies, other activities, their hunger for snacks, holidays etc etc... I asked the boys "can you choose an activity that is FREE ah?" ...and H said that I was cheapo wor... so, "bo huat". Luckily don't have to pay school fees and the bus fares, as they are paid by H's company...otherwise, sure PENGSAN!!! How much? Sure you wanna know? Fees are pengsan amount of ~ USD 15 K per kid per year. Bus fares are USD 490 per kid per term. We definitely CANNOT afford these amounts ourselves....

One of my Singaporean friends (she only has 2 kids, like me) said that a lot of her friends in Singapore are having 3 kids now, because of the SGD 10 K ( I think) that the government is giving as incentive to have more kids.. Aiyo.. Sounds like a lot, but REALLY! Where got enough? I mean you have to treat all your kids equal.. it's like S1 doing Mad Science..S2 also wants to do...I cannot exactly say "Cannot! Too expensive", right? Then I will definitely get a barrage of "NOT FAIR!!!" ... For example holidays... cannot exactly just take one and the other one, you tell.."you stay home okay?".... Actually, I have a friend with 3 kids...she takes them on holiday one-by-one. Her kids are okay with that.... Mmmm... Somehow, I have difficulty doing this leh...And my kids DEFINITELY will not allow it!!!

No comments:

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker