Friday, July 20, 2007

Mailboxes Galore!

I grew up knowing only one kind of mailboxes, i.e the mail slot type (see picture below). It's built into the pillar that supports the front gate at my parent's house. It never occurred to me that there were all sorts available. I guessed I just didn't really paid any attention to mailboxes....until I went on holiday Down Under. The homes over there are measured in acres! As opposed to our usual 22 x 75 ft homes over here. Many a times, you can't even see the houses itself. All you see are the residential mailboxes at the start of the driveway. It's quite interesting, as you would be driving along a country road, and you see mailboxes of all shapes, sizes and colours peeping out by the side. I guessed their owners take great pride to install mailboxes that represents their own unique style and taste.

Thereafter, I somehow do notice the different types and designs of mailboxes. Even the ones that line the Wisteria Lane houses in Desperate Housewives!! Well, there really are ALL sorts of mailboxes available in the market! Commercial mailboxes, column-type mailboxes, wall-mount mailboxes etc. The list is endless!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The mailbox shown in your photo is common in Australia.
You've seen the mailbox in UK, right? Best lah! :))

NomadicMom said...

Judy - Mmm... Mailbox in UK...mostly a slit on the door wor... Mail all over the door mat ones leh...

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker