Tuesday, July 03, 2007

More On Scuba Diving...

That's me...lounging in my wet suit on the terrace chairs....
I am invisible ma.... Hahaha..
(Yeah lah... "So lame" as the kids would say...They picked it up from the Singapore production "I Not Stupid")

Anyway, H insisted that I buy the wetsuit before the 2nd Confined Water Dive...fai-see I catch cold and thus he would have to look after the kids :-P ....heee heee. Notice my garb are all blue and black?? Must be colour-coordinated, of course! Want to dive also must dive with some style-la. Can't exactly be a hip cool momma if the colours all clash, right??? kekekeke...
Let me think...what did we do for our 2nd and 3rd confined water dive ar... just one week, all forgotten liow... yikes!! Oh yeah..
  • Using Buddy's Octopus when Out of Air, and Swimming to Surface
  • Inflating BCD with Mouth, while keeping Afloat
  • Inflating BCD with Mouth, in Deep Water
  • Using and Clearing Snorkler
  • Swimming 200 m, followed by floating/treading water for 10 minutes
  • Obtaining the Right Buoyancy in Deep Water
  • Breathing through Free Flow Regulator
  • Removal of Face Mask, and Putting On Again
  • Towing your tired Buddy (I told H that he has to MASTER this Skill!!!)
  • Check Lists...

Have to say the scariest one for me was removing my face mask. I thought that would be nothing to it. But once my mask was off, everything exposed. My lids (eyes closed since wearing lens), my nose...and as I exhaled, the bubbles rushed and brushed against my nose and lids. I could feel water going halfway into my nose and I was soooooo scared that I would accidently snort it in. Wa....really full concentration to do this properly!

Instructor told us that everything has to be agreed between the two buddies. No such thing as one want to go here and one go there... Then silly H said "Think next life, if I am become a counselor and a couple comes in...Wife complains husband don't spend time. Never do things together blah blah blah... I am just going to give ONE advice... TAKE SCUBA DIVING!"... hee hee.. Not only doing things together, but must be close together, must agree some more... unlike watching TV...one can be on the couch, the other on the bed... hahahah...

Oh... S1 actually did use my fins and snorkler at home...he's quite good actually and wanted to come along for Scuba Diving Classes...But told him no lah... Think I will be very stressed with him around.....IN the pool... I would be worried if he can remember to continuously breathe and NOT hold breath, etc etc. You would be worried too, right??

Well......tonight will be our 4th Confined Water Dive....

7 comments:

WMD: Wife, Mother, Daughter said...

I yet to pluck up the courage to do scuba diving. My sis has been encouraging me to go. I am afraid that I panic underwater and then.....

Anyway, you've been tagged:http://yfmami.blogspot.com/2007/07/sahm-or-ftwm.html

NomadicMom said...

WMD - Initially, was quite tensed too... But think it's the theory that's scary. It sounds worse than actually doing it. Once you are in the water, you actually relax quite a bit... :-)

SAHM vs FTWM - Wah...hard one...got to think how to respond. :-)

mommy of 3 angels said...

wear lens & scuba...think better get a mask with "power"...hehehe no need to wear lens lor!

NomadicMom said...

MommyOf2Angels - But once the mask comes off, I will be totally blind leh... At least, even if accidentally open eyes in water whilst wearing lenses, the water pressure will press the lens against the eye and it will not fall off...

Anonymous said...

you didn't try to open your eyes in the water ah? Then how would you know where it is if someone kicks the mask off (accidentally lah). My instructor made me do it. Contact lenses didn't float out :). But lessons were in the open sea so eyes stung for a few seconds, then it was okay.

g

Anonymous said...

it's okay to let ur son try scuba diving since he's already ten. Some start as young as six to seven. If he's ok in the pool, sure no problem in the sea. You know kids lah, where got so many paranoias like us adults?

YM

NomadicMom said...

G - No. I didn't try to open eyes. When really someone kicks it off, then only open eyes to look for mask if really necessary lah... Since H is my buddy, that someone most likely him, then he KENA lah..

YM - I know he'll be oK. BUt I scared leh!!! Anyway, when we go to the open dive, our instructor (who is H's colleague) said he'll arrange for someone to take them (urgh..yup both boys) to the shallow waters ~ 2 to 3 meters.. See how lah...

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker